Bible Studies/Catholicism and Protestantism.

Question
QUESTION: Dear Glenn

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Catholicism
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Protestantism

What are the Similarities and Differences in Catholicism and Protestantism ?

Are there different churches for both ?. i.e. Catholics go for worship and praying the all mighty to a different church and Protestants go to a different church ?.

Awaiting your reply,

Thanks & Regards,
Prashant S Akerkar

ANSWER: Dear Prashant, A book could and probably has been written to answer your question.

There are obvious differences:

RC [Roman Catholicism] allows the use and display of images in their churches. P [Protestants] do not.

RC and P have very different beliefs about Mary, the mother of Jesus.

RC believe in purgatory after death. P do not.

RC and P differ on their understanding of the "Lord's Supper."

RC and P differ on their understanding of "merit," i.e. the value and importance of works in the life of the believer.

For an authoritative explanation of RC beliefs go here

http://www.vatican.va/archive/ENG0015/_INDEX.HTM

There are numerous Protestant churches whose beliefs differ from Rome and each other in subtle and not so subtle ways.

Lutheranism, Reformed, and the Church of England all have catechisms/Confessions which explain their beliefs. Nearly every denomination has a doctrinal statement which sets forth their particular views. You can check each one individually to discover how the various churches differ from Rome.

QUESTION: Dear Glenn

Thank you.

Christianity Religion is broadly divided into two different Divisions  or Communities viz Catholics and Protestants.

This are my views mentioned below from my side.

Lord Jesus Christ, Son of God has founded the religion Christianity. Mother Mary is Mother of the Lord. Both are Great. The Holy Churches are open to all whether Catholics or Protestants and not only Catholics or Protestants but to all other religions.

I personally born Hindu religion by birth visit Different churches
St Lewis Church, Mount Mary Church, St Michael Church. The Dear Friends, Brothers and Sisters of those churches allow me to enter the church, pray and worship before the All Mighty. I get mental peace. They do not stop me to enter the church just because i am from a different religion.

I personally feel Catholics should be allowed to visit the Protestants Churches and Protestants should be allowed to enter the Catholics Churches and they should do this.

I also personally feel there should be a common church for both the communities and not different churches for the Catholics and Protestants communities.

Note : Mother Mary is Mother of the Lord itself. Both are Great.
God is Great. Regarding my above opinion and views, can you please reply me with your views ?.

Awaiting your reply,

Thanks & Regards,
Prashant S Akerkar

ANSWER: Dear Prashant, In the USA, as far as I know, people of many denominations intermingle freely. I have attended Protestant and Roman Catholic services without difficulty. I have also attended Jewish synagogues. Some churches, such as Mormons, restrict access to their temples. Only members are normally welcome there. I was also told by Muslims  in another country that their mosque was only for Muslims.

I see no problem with that. People are entitled to allow or disallow whoever they choose into their faith communities.

I consider Mary to have been a very blessed woman; however, I don't believe that she went to heaven or has any roll at all in the salvation of anyone.

The Bible is the best guide to understand Christian faith. Denominations are primarily businesses. Christianity is about having your sins forgiven through the atoning sacrifice of Christ.

My best wishes to you in your quest for Truth.

QUESTION: Dear Glenn

Thank you.

Statistically if we take a count of Total Number of Catholics and Total Number of Protestants in all countries, which will be more in number ?.

This can be calculated by the simple mathematical formula of summation.

Just As a example,

1. Country : USA Total Number of Catholics : 2000000. Total Number of Protestants : 1500000.
2. Country : United Kingdom Total Number of Catholics : 1500000. Total Number of Protestants : 2000000.

Total Number of Catholics in the world = Sum of Catholics in every country.
Total Number of Protestants in the world = Sum of Protestants in every country.

As we know, Every Christian baby born in a family will be either a Catholic or a Protestant.

Note : The above example does not show any real figures, the numbers shown are taken just for computation.

Awaiting your reply,

Thanks & Regards,
Prashant S Akerkar

Answer
Dear Prashant, I'm not sure what you are getting at. My interest in Jesus and the Bible is primarily spiritual. I'm concerned about things such as my personal salvation and the salvation of others.

In some places, perhaps many, being Protestant or Roman Catholic or Orthodox ot Muslim is like being a republican or democrat. It has nothing to do with spirituality.

God is Great!

Bible Studies

Glenn Hansen