Bible Studies/does Isaiah 40:22 really say that the earth is a sphere?

Question
Isaiah 40:22 said:"He sits enthroned above the circle of the earth, and its people are like grasshoppers. He stretches out the heavens like a canopy, and spreads them out like a tent to live in." many people argue whether the word chuwg that translated circle mean a sphere ball or a round flat disk.what is the Hebrew word chuwg really mean?

Answer
Let's take a look at that passage, considering the Hebrew and different translations.  My Strong's says that the Hebrew word for "circle" is "hug", meaning circle, but also a circuit or compass.  If we look at the verse, it says, "He (God) sits enthroned above the circle of the earth...."  The point is not the shape of the earth, but the fact that God is above it; thus, God is sovereign over the universe.
    The "God's Word" translation renders this verse, "God is enthroned above the earth, and those who live on it are like grasshoppers....'  In other words, what are we in relation to God?  The "Knox" translation says, "There is One (who) sits so high above its Orb (i.e. earth) (that) those who live on it seem tiny as insects...."
    The purpose of this verse, rather than being about the shape of the earth, is about the supremacy and sovereignty of God.  Joel

Bible Studies

Joel Bjorling