Bible Studies/mediums

Question
Mr.Talbot

Can you tell me your understanding of the story of the Witch of Endor?(1 Samuel 28)  Do you think this "person" that King Saul was speaking with, was actually Samuel, or do you think it was some other type of spiritual being? Some say that is was absolutely not Samuel?

Thank you.

Answer
Hi Leah,

Mediums have no real power over those who have died, but at best can produce only counterfeit appearances--demonic imitations.

However, in this story, God intervened and allowed Saul one last visit with Samuel.

Verse 12 says, "When the woman saw Samuel, she cried out at the top of her voice and said to Saul, 'Why have you deceived me? You are Saul!'" SHE SAW SAMUEL. In verse 14, God tells us that "Saul knew it was Samuel." The narrative continues to make reference to Samuel. He is not described as one who appeared as Samuel. He is actually identified as Samuel.

Notice that the woman was surprised by Samuel's appearance and immediately realized that it was God, and not she, that raised up Samuel. The implication is that she did not really expect to raise up Samuel but only an imitation.

Scott

Bible Studies

Scott Talbot