Bible Studies/the three magi

QUESTION: Hello Mr Gade - Its me, Pete, again. I have a question about the three magi. These three would not have been Jewish, they would have belonged to the religion of the east from which they came; Zoroastrianism. This being the case, how did they know about Jesus and the significance of the star and that they should bow down and worship Him?

There is no answer to your question in the Bible itself and any answer, therefore, is speculation on our part.

What the Bible does show us is that God can and does sometimes speak directly to some people by spoken words, written words (of the Bible) or just signs no matter if they know Him or not.

Sorry that I can't be of more help on this question... and sorry that I have have been delayed in answering your question earlier.  My computer has been locking up and I had to have it fixed.

QUESTION: after writing you I did a little more research. The greek word for magi denotes magician astrologers who come persia - Daniel when he was in exile in babylonia became the master or head of these types - it is from him that the magi would have gotten the idea of the birth of the Messiah and it would have been passed down to the magi who came to visit Jesus........Interesting stuff. Thanks again   Pete

Thank YOU!  I believe your research has given us some answers.  I guess I had heard about the Magi in the past but had never looked into where they would have learned of the birth of the "King of Kings".  Daniel sounds like a very good candidate since he was in Persia, was one who studied the existing biblical books and was well known after the praise received from the king himself.

Yes, interesting stuff.  Keep up the good search....  there are many mysteries about the Bible and mysteries that God has put in it for those seek to know Him better.  

Rom 16:25-27

25 Now to him who is able to strengthen you according to my gospel and the preaching of Jesus Christ, according to the revelation of the mystery which was kept secret for long ages 26 but is now disclosed and through the prophetic writings is made known to all nations, according to the command of the eternal God, to bring about the obedience of faith -  27 to the only wise God be glory for evermore through Jesus Christ! Amen.

Matt 13:10-14
Then the disciples came and said to him, "Why do you speak to them in parables?" 11 And he answered them, "To you it has been given to know the secrets of the kingdom of heaven, but to them it has not been given. 12 For to him who has will more be given, and he will have abundance; but from him who has not, even what he has will be taken away. 13 This is why I speak to them in parables, because seeing they do not see, and hearing they do not hear, nor do they understand.

1 Cor 14:1-3
Pursue love, yet desire earnestly spiritual gifts, but especially that you may prophesy. 2 For one who speaks in a tongue does not speak to men, but to God; for no one understands, but in his spirit he speaks mysteries.

Eph 5:32-33
32 This mystery is a profound one, and I am saying that it refers to Christ and the church; 33 however, let each one of you love his wife as himself, and let the wife see that she respects her husband

Bible Studies

Dean Gade

I can answer questions concerning the translating of specific words and translations of the New Testament. I can give the etemology of Greek words, primarily in the Koine Greek, but also in Classical Greek. I can also give explanations of much of the Bible having read it many times and written many Bible studies.

I studied Greek in earning my BA at a university and my DTh. and MDiv. at an accredited seminary. I was a diviity student at both the university and seminary, spending most of those eight years studying the Bible.