Bible Studies/Tower of Babel

Hello, Reverend Ross! Hope all is well.

Is there any way to determine how tall the Tower of Babel was? If not, how tall do you think it was?

Thank you very much!  Brad

Hi Brad

Good to hear from you again.  I actually answered this question (as best I could!) on Friday!  I explained that my wife and I were away for a short break in a hotel that does not have a wi-fi connection, so I was responding via my mobile (cell-phone).  This was because I had forgotten to post up holiday dates and so ensure no questions!!  However, when we returned home earlier today, I had another question awaiting me.  It was when I had answered it that I noticed that my answer to you didn't appear on the list that I see each time.  I can only assume that, for some reason, my cell-phone didn't manage to send my answer!  I do apologise for the resulting delay!

What I had said was that there is no method, of which I am aware, by which we could determine the height of the Tower of Babel.  The only clue that we have is that its builders intended it to be so high that its top would be "... in the heavens," (Gen 11:4).

The Tower was probably what we now know as a Ziggurat.  There would appear to be archaeological evidence that these tiered structures (like some modern wedding cakes!) reached up to 200' in height.  This would suggest that Babel was taller than that, and it may well have been about 300' tall.  Although that doesn't sound exceptionally high, even by contemporary standards (the Great Pyramid was almost 500' at its apex) we must remember that, in the plain on which Babel was erected, there was a distinct shortage of natural building material (i.e. stone), and that mud/straw bricks were used, bound together with bitumen (see Gen.11:3).  

That's about as much as I can offer you.  Trust that it is of some help!

Blessings, and shalom.

C.Brian Ross (Rev)  

Bible Studies

Rev C.Brian Ross

I am happy to offer answers to anyone with a question that refers to the Christian Faith in its widest possible sense. I believe that the Bible is the living Word of God, and seek to base all of my life on its teaching. I also have some knowledge of some of the cults, and of Islam and Judaism. Of course, my answers are just one man's thoughts, and I would always advise a questioner to check with others, and with the Word of God.

Served as a full-time parish minister in Scotland for about six years, and then spent the last thirty as a teacher (now 'retired') of Religious Education in Secondary Comprehensive schools (ages 11-17) while continuing my own preaching and teaching ministry. I have spent three years as a voluntary Chaplain with Strathclyde Police Force. I also believe that learning is a life-time process, and have recently completed a Master's degree in Divinity. I now spend most of my time in France, ministering mainly to English-speaking groups.

Former Presenter on Revival FM - a local Christian, community radio station, broadcasting in west central Scotland, and online at Involved with a number of organisations that support Christians who are currently suffering persecution in some 70 countries around the world. Until the formation of the new Police Scotland Force, I was a Chaplain with Strathclyde Police Force, deployed within 'Q' and 'N' Divisions, and also responsible for the Force Training and Recruitment Centre.

Various articles in Christian magazines. I also maintain a blog - My first book, Great Words of the Faith, is available as a Kindle e-book at My second book, Foundations of the Faith, is available as a Kindle e-book at*Version*=1&*entries*=0

Diploma of The Bible Training Institute, Glasgow; Licentiate in Theology of the University of Glasgow; Associateship of The Philosophical Society of England; Bachelor of Arts Degree (Hons) in History from The Open University; Post-grad Certificate of Education - Religious Education and History; Post-grad Certificate in Learning and Teaching; Post-grad Diploma in Management and Learning in Education; Master of Science Degree from the University of Strathclyde; Master of Divinity Degree (with Distinction) from Trinity College and Seminary (accredited by the University of Liverpool)