Bible Studies/Are you the same....

Hi Rev. Murphy,
I just want to know are you the same person who gives Prophet Grunbaum a run for his money.  I have been on the Jehovah Witness site. I decided to see what others say about christians, & just happen to click Bible Study, viola there you were...All I have to say is that guy will never admit he is wrong. There are a few of them on there that are really rude, I've had my run ins with them, but I'm not debating them. Witnesses have an answer for everything...right or wrong..I study with them, my congregation is great, lovely folks. I'm thinking about getting baptized. The reason I came on this site to begin with was I didn't believe that Michael is Jesus...& I still don't. I have read many scriptures that say differently. I really love learning the bible, but when I read the bible & they interpret it, it sometimes doesn't line up. You can't say anything to the witnesses, because they will call you an apostate. So I came to this site because I thought because I started learning the Bible that Satan was messing with me. But after emailing some of the witnesses or x-witnesses on the site, I started to think, umm maybe God is letting me see the truth. I believe God's word the Bible is the final word. I was wondering are you interested in the witnesses ? Do you believe their doctrine.  Hope to hear from you.

Hello Dee and thank you for writing.

Yes I am the same Rev. Darryl Murphy that discusses scripture with Grunbaum, and you are right, he will never admit being wrong. The key reason is that he does not think he is wrong. All Jehovahs Witnesses are taught to have total faith in the FDS(Faithful Discreet Slave) and the WTBS, their teachings and interpretation of scripture. They are encouraged and in many ways forced to read only literature published by the WTBS. When a Witness steps outside the box and reads materials by others, he is told that he is accepting the teachings of Satan. He is also taught never to question the FDS for if they do, it would almost be like questioning Jehovah himself, because it is said that the FDS is "Spirit Led".

So in consideration of all this, all Witnesses feel and truly believe they are the only ones with "TRUTH" and Gods revelations as expressed through the Bible. Even if someone shows by scripture that they are wrong..the WTBS will have an answer to make them seem right. If you don't accept the answer, then you will be called spiritually blind. You will without doubt hear this passage of scripture quoted:

NWT 2COR 4:4

among whom the god of this system of things has blinded the minds of the unbelievers, that the illumination of the glorious good news about the Christ, who is the image of God, might not shine through.

Now of course the passage will be paraphrased as follows: "The god of this system Satan has blinded you to the truth" and then you will be given either the passage to read, or they will quote where it comes from.

Now here is the problem. Let us look at the passage of scripture in context:

NWT 2Cor 4:1-6

That is why, since we have this ministry according to the mercy that was shown us, we do not give up;2but we have renounced the underhanded things of which to be ashamed, not walking with cunning, neither adulterating the word of God, but by making the truth manifest recommending ourselves to every human conscience in the sight of God.3If, now, the good news we declare is in fact veiled, it is veiled among those who are perishing,4among whom the god of this system of things has blinded the minds of the unbelievers, that the illumination of the glorious good news about the Christ, who is the image of God, might not shine through.5For we are preaching, not ourselves, but Christ Jesus as Lord, and ourselves as ​YOUR​ slaves for Jesus’ sake.6For God is he who said: “Let the light shine out of darkness,” and he has shone on our hearts to illuminate [them] with the glorious knowledge of God by the face of Christ.

When you read these passages we see that the message the Witnesses are giving to the person receiving the quote is incorrect. This passage is speaking about those who do not and will not receive the "good news about Christ" Pay close attention to what the passage in vs 4 says.
Also what does vs 5 make plainly clear? "5For we are preaching, not ourselves, but Christ Jesus as Lord,:    Now I stopped it there to show you something. The word "Lord" in the Greek is "kyrios" it means: "the one to whom a person or thing belongs" Then the vs proceeds with saying "and ourselves as ​YOUR​ slaves for Jesus’ sake." In other words the proclaim themselves as servants for the sake of Christ, bound to him in every aspect.

Is that what the Witnesses are proclaiming to people? If you ask who it is that belongs to Christ, with no doubt they will tell you the 144,000 and give you the passages in Rev. to support it. However, that is not what the scripture is saying.

So, what we find is that if a person does not accept the Doctrines and Theologies of the WTBS and the Witnesses, he is then called "spiritually blind" and if he be a witness and reject any of the Doctrines and Theologies, although he can prove them scripturally inaccurate or just plain wrong...he is as you have said, called an "apostate".

So now lets give some answers to a few more questions you have:

You: I was wondering are you interested in the witnesses ?

Reply: Yes, I do have an interest in the Witnesses,but my interest is not to become one. My interest is only in their Doctrines and Theologies as far as if they are Biblically and scripturally correct. When I find something that is not in line with scripture, that is when you see me pose questions on the Jehovahs Witness side for discussion. I will also post a question if I see a discussion where the Jehovahs Witness position is correct and the original questioner is in doubt. This is done so "Truth" can be exposed and the readers have enough information to decide for themselves.

Now as I am sure you wonder why Grunbaum. I choose to discuss with him because over the past year or so, we, although we do not agree, for the most part are able to discuss issues without the rude comments etc etc, and stick to the issues. I also discuss with him because he like I, are students of Greek and Hebrew and because of it, allows us to go deeper into the issues and what the scriptures state. Again, we do not agree..but through our discussions, the reader may gain all the information needed for research and study and be able to decide for themselves.

You: "Do you believe their doctrine"

Reply: Yes and No. I do not believe the WTBS Witness Doctrine# or teachings# I only believe what the Bible Truly Teaches. If the Witnesses Doctrine is according too and in line with Scripture, then I believe it, if not, I don't. But, understand, it is not because it is their doctrine or teaching, it is because it is what the Bible teaches.

Now, if I am correct, didn't you send questions to some of the witnesses and they were at odds with you for questioning the doctrine of Michael etc?

Also I noticed that you say you study with them and that your congregation is great and the members also. Most JWS are very pleasant, loving, sincere people. They study and are dedicated. I think it is very commendable that you choose to study the Bible and have no objection, regardless of my view of their doctrine, with you studying with them. You will learn a lot. Remember, there is what the Bible says, and then there is what WTBS and Witness doctrine and theology says. Studying with them, you will learn both. It is up too you to recognize what the Bible really says in lieu of what WTBS theology and doctrine says. Just as you don't believe Jesus is Michael etc... you must be able to recognize the same incorrect Doctrines in all things.

Trust when I say, it is just like being part of any Church. There are many doctrines and theologies in the Churches that are not scripturally supported etc. The members are required to do as the Bible says:

2 Timothy 2:15 #KJV#
Study to shew thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth.

I also understand that you are thinking of being baptized. Congratulations. It is a beautiful and glorious occasion when one dedicates himself to Christ and the Father. The symbolic death, burial and resurrection into the body of Christ through baptism for all to see that you are of Christ is very notable as well as humbling.

Study, stay in prayer. Pray for understanding and guidance and God himself will direct your paths. Make sure you understand fully what you are being baptized into;"scripturally" and how it "truly" identifies you, and all will be well for you.

I hope this answers your questions and gives you some insight. If I can be of further assistance in anyway, please don't hesitate to contact me. I have a lot of experience with JW theology and doctrine. I was raised in a JW home and my family full of baptized witnesses, elders etc.

God Keep and Bless You:

Rev. Darryl Murphy  

Bible Studies

Rev. Darryl Murphy

I am willing to to answer any questions regarding Biblical Doctrine and application. Can a man lose his salvation? Is the Trinitarian Doctrine really Biblical? Was there really Pre-Adamic life? What of the end times,IS there really a raputure? Who will be raptured? Where are we in the end time scenario? Are we predestined ? All these are doctrinal questions.Most would answer based on traditional teachings(not biblical).Find out the TRUTH according to the Bible.

23 years of study in ancient cultures, religion and doctrinal history.

I have studied the doctrines of various religions for over 23 years.

Currently teaching Biblical doctrinal studies privately