Bible Studies/1st Kings

Question
Hello Teacher Scott. Its Joyce again.

This time I have a question about 1st Kings. In ch 22 Kings Ahab and Jehoshaphat. They went to see Micaiah. So in vs 8, Ahab says that Micaiah says evil concerning him. In vs 15,Micaiah says the Lord will deliver Ramoth Gilead in his hands. In vs 16 Ahab is mad about it..
And I don't understand why. If the Lord promises to deliver someone into your hands.. isn't that a good thing? What was Ahab mad about?

I have at least one more question about that same chapter but I'll wait till the next time.

Thanks for helping me,
joyce

Answer
Hi Joyce,

In verse 15, when Michaiah states that "the Lord will give it [Ramoth Gilead] into the king's hands," it was most likely a sarcastic reply. He had been told to give the same answer that the other prophets gave--a promise of victory.

Ahab's reply in verse 16 seems to be just as sarcastic. "How many times must I make you swear to tell me nothing but the truth in the name of the Lord?" He knew Micaiah was a man of integrity and always told the truth, no matter what the consequences. And he seemed to understand that Micaiah was being sarcastic.

This fact is further confirmed. After Ahab made this statement, Micaiah proceeded to reveal the truth. He spoke of defeat and of Ahab's death if he went into battle.

Scott

P.S. I'm so glad to see you studying the Bible the way you are!

Bible Studies

Scott Talbot