Bible Studies/demonology

Question
where is the Greek word "demon" from?
was the word "demon" in ancient Greek mean inferior deity or evil spirit?
did the earliest Jews in the old testament period believe in any form of angels or demons before the Babylonian captive?
did the word "demon" appear in the original Greek new testament and what was this word mean in the new testament context?
when did the church begin to use the word "demon" to mean evil spirit?

Answer
Sorry this has taken so long.  I just got my computer back from the shop.
The Greek word for demon was "daimon."  Originally, it referred to a spirit being, not necessarily one that was evil.
About all I can say about the Old Testament regarding demons is that originally it was believed that Israel had its God, yet other nations had theirs.  When YHVH became seen as the one God, all others became seen as demons.  Angels were seen as messengers in the Old and New Testaments.
Evil spirits are usually understood to be fallen angels (those who fell from heaven with Lucifer or Satan).  Angels are ministering spirits.  When Paul's writings talk about the spiritual gift of "discerning spirits," it referred to those who had teaching contrary to his.  They weren't actual spirits, but more heretical teachers.  Joel

Bible Studies

Joel Bjorling