Bible Studies/Love/hell

Hello and thank you for taking my question. I would like to know if God loves the people in hell? Does the bible say anything about this?

Hi Pete,

Thank you for this very interesting question.  I am unaware of any scripture that directly talks about God loving or hating people in Hell, but here is what I do know.

1.  Jesus loved the whole world, even Hell bound sinners.

John 3:16 (AV)
16 For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

2.  Jesus died for the whole world, not just those who would believe.

Romans 5:8 (AV)
8 But God commendeth his love toward us, in that, while we were yet sinners, Christ died for us.

1 John 2:12 (AV)
1 My little children, these things write I unto you, that ye sin not. And if any man sin, we have an advocate with the Father, Jesus Christ the righteous: 2 And he is the propitiation for our sins: and not for ours only, but also for the sins of the whole world.

3.  Jesus did not want any to go to Hell, His perfect will is that all turn to Him in repentance..... He loves everyone.

2 Peter 3:9 (AV)
9 The Lord is not slack concerning his promise, as some men count slackness; but is longsuffering to us-ward, not willing that any should perish, but that all should come to repentance.

4.  God loves us enough to still allow us to have free will to choose to reject Him if that is our choice.  Jesus wanted people in Jerusalem to repent but they did not want to, and He respected their "no".

Matthew 23:37 (AV)
37 O Jerusalem, Jerusalem, thou that killest the prophets, and stonest them which are sent unto thee, how often would I have gathered thy children together, even as a hen gathereth her chickens under her wings, and ye would not!

So with the above facts in view, I believe that God loves those in Hell as well as Heaven, and He is broken over those who refuse the answer to sin which is faith in Jesus' finished work on the cross.

I hope that this helps you.

In Christ
Pastor Don

Bible Studies

Pastor Don Carpenter

I believe that every word of the Bible is God-Breathed. This blessed book is the foundation of truth for faith and practice. If you ask this volunteer a question you will receive an answer from the Bible that is based upon a litteral, normal interpretation, taking into account the grammar and culture of the time.

I have been in the ministry for almosat 20 years. During this time I served as youth pastor, assistant pastor, counselor, and Senior Pastor. Currently I serve as a Senior Pastor for an independent fundamental Baptist Church in New England.

Revival Chronicles

BS in Bible from Baptist Bible College, Clarks Summit, PA