Bible Studies/Methodism and Lord's prayer

Question
I have a question regarding the additional part that the Methodists say "for thine is..............." after the end of the Lord's Prayer as it is written in the bible. What is the history behind it and what is it called?  I can't seem to find it in the bible and none of my Methodist friends know this.

Answer
  The most commonly used version of the Lord's Prayer is in the Sermon on the Mount, Matthew 6:9-13 (there is another version in Luke).  In the Byzantine Text Type, also known among Evangelicals as the "Majority Text", the Lord's Prayer ends with , "For Thine is the kingdom and the power and the glory forever, Amen."  However, the earliest manuscripts do not have this.  Also, the Latin Vulgate, the official standard Bible for the Catholic Church, does not have this phrase, so, it has not been part of the Catholic version of the prayer which is frequently recited in their liturgies, etc.
   You wil find the longer version of the Lord's Prayer in the King James Version, and any translation made from the Byzantine / Majority Text, such as the New King James Version.
I hope this is helpful,
Jim Miller.

Bible Studies

Jim Miller