Bible Studies/I need help here

Question
what does the scripture say about Christ in John 1:1-3?

Answer
Hi Joshua,

Thank you for this great question.  I think it is helpful to not only consider what the Bible says about the Word (Jesus) in verses 1-3, but all we must consider verse 14.  So here is the passage to consider:

John 1:13 (AV)
1 In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God. 2 The same was in the beginning with God. 3 All things were made by him; and without him was not any thing made that was made.

John 1:14 (AV)
14 And the Word was made flesh, and dwelt among us, (and we beheld his glory, the glory as of the only begotten of the Father,) full of grace and truth.

So verse 14 shows us that the WORD spoken of in verses 1-3 is indeed Jesus.  So this is what the passage teaches about Jesus:

1.  In the Beginning, He already existed... He is from eternity past.

Micah 5:2 (AV)
2 But thou, Bethlehem Ephratah, though thou be little among the thousands of Judah, yet out of thee shall he come forth unto me that is to be ruler in Israel; whose goings forth have been from of old, from everlasting.

2.  He is both with God and He is God... this points to the aspect of the Trinity.  We get some glimpses into this mystery when the Trinity is having a conversation about making man... God says let US... a reference to the Trinity.

Genesis 1:2627 (AV)
26 And God said, Let us make man in our image, after our likeness: and let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over the cattle, and over all the earth, and over every creeping thing that creepeth upon the earth. 27 So God created man in his own image, in the image of God created he him; male and female created he them.

3.  So the Jesus is the Son of God and very God as well.  That is why in Him we see the fullness of all of the Godhead.

Colossians 2:9 (AV)
9 For in him dwelleth all the fulness of the Godhead bodily.

4.  This also shows that Jesus is the Creator God... anything that was made, Jesus had a part in making it.   I hope that this answers your question and helps you.

In Christ
Pastor Don

Bible Studies

Pastor Don Carpenter