Bible Studies/Being an outcast

I came across your response to Rom.8:31-39.While looking up Bibical understanding of being an outcast. I for one believe what they word said about not being separated from the love of God. But my study is to understand how to cope with the reality of being an outcast and the fact that you may not fit in anywhere.Or for better terms the enemy wants you to think such a thing.

As an outcast it is very hard and lonely when you don't feel you have anything in common with the love ones that you are born to and you always try to get the approval of them. I don't drink, don't party or do drugs and I don't like sitting around talking about others so very often that puts me on the outside of a lot of things. And have been label as not normal or my silence has had me label as strange which is ok, but yet lonely.

I would like to be able to help other Christian that find themselves in this place. It is easy to say God will always be there and He is but He has made us relational people.

As an outcast you don't have to many of those that stay for a long period of time. It makes you understand when Christ describe He had no family except those that believe. And have no where to lay His head because as an outcast you never have a place that seems as if it is actually home.

Home is somewhere where you are loved unconditionally, So again I ask how would you help someone that is an outcast deal with the reality of being outcast. Although knowing that God is just as His word says all loving. The people that He created are not.

Yours Truly,

Minister Robin

Dear Robin,

Thank you for your comments about your heavy burden of being an outcast. I can’t think anything worse than the feeling of being all alone. My heart goes out to you. I’ve already put you on my prayer list, and I’ll mention your name to the Lord every day.

Your plight is not unique. Sad to say there are millions of people in this world who have the same feelings of loneliness. There have been times in my life when I felt lonely, separated from my wife and children by thousands of miles. But my loneliness was nowhere near as bad as what you describe.

How can you stop feeling like an outcast; or better yet, not being an outcast. Perhaps we can learn something from Jesus, for, as you know, He was an outcast almost His whole life.

Isa 53:3-6  He is despised and rejected of men; a man of sorrows, and acquainted with grief: and we hid as it were our faces from him; he was despised, and we esteemed him not. Surely he hath borne our griefs, and carried our sorrows: yet we did esteem him stricken, smitten of God, and afflicted. But he was wounded for our transgressions, he was bruised for our iniquities: the chastisement of our peace was upon him; and with his stripes we are healed. All we like sheep have gone astray; we have turned every one to his own way; and the LORD hath laid on him the iniquity of us all.

He had many people who followed Him and at least 12 close friends … were they really friends? As time passed, it didn’t always seem so. One became such an enemy that he betrayed Jesus, while Peter impetuously denied Jesus three times. Most of the rest of them—except John and several of the women—just outright abandoned Him.

What a lonely place to be—the Son of God, the Savior of the world, yet abandoned by Your close friends—and, it seemed, abandoned by Your Father as well!

Jesus was left all alone to face that most awful punishment this side of the lake of fire. And the Bible says that He did it so we wouldn’t have to die in the fiery destruction of Satan and His followers.

The text you mentioned, Rom. 8:31-39, is a good one for those who feel that the world is against them: “If God be for us, who can be against us?” “Who shall lay anything to the charge of God’s elect?” “Who is he that condemns? It is Christ that died, yea rather, that is risen…” “Who shall separate us from the love of Christ?” Absolutely nothing! “For I am persuaded, that neither death, nor life, nor angels, nor principalities, nor powers, nor things present, nor things to come, nor height, nor depth, nor any other creature, shall be able to separate us from the love of God, which is in Christ Jesus our Lord.”

Jesus says to all of us who feel outcast for whatever reason: Mat 11:28-30: “Come unto me, all ye that labor and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you, and learn of me; for I am meek and lowly in heart: and ye shall find rest unto your souls. For my yoke is easy, and my burden is light.”

Here are a number of other Bible promises that you might find helpful:

Philippians 4:19  And MY GOD SHALL SUPPLY ALL YOUR NEED according to His riches in glory by Christ Jesus.

Heb. 13:5, 6  Let your conduct be without covetousness; be content with such things as you have. For He Himself has said, "I WILL NEVER LEAVE YOU NOR FORSAKE YOU."  So we may boldly say: "THE LORD IS MY HELPER; I WILL NOT FEAR. WHAT CAN MAN DO TO ME?"

Jesus said: “… lo, I AM WITH YOU ALWAYS, even to the end of the age." Matt. 28:20

Isa 26:3, 4  YOU WILL KEEP HIM IN PERFECT PEACE, Whose mind is stayed on You, Because he trusts in You. TRUST IN THE LORD FOREVER, For in YAH, the LORD, is everlasting strength.

Read the Shepherd’s Psalm, #23, and look at the many promises David lists in that 6-verse song. Put a “P” in the margin beside each promise you find. (In fact, I have a friend who does that throughout the Bible, everywhere he finds a promise. (“Claim God’s promises,” he says, “and keep His commandments. That’s the joy and duty of the Christian.”)

Look at what Jesus went through in the last days of His life—indeed, the trials of His entire ministry. The evil one left no stone unturned in his evil plots to destroy the Son of God.

I have trouble focusing when I pray silently, or even out loud, and since I do so much writing, I’ve found that writing a letter to my Heavenly Father seems to work best.

Here’s part of a prayer in which I discussed Jesus’ Passion with the Father. Actually, in this part of my prayer I found that I was addressing Jesus directly:

LORD Jesus, thank You for Your great sacrifice in our behalf. You went into the garden, already feeling the weight of the sins of the world. Were they placed upon You all at once, or did it happen gradually? How terrible that it should have had to be that way at all, but how thankful I am that You did it. I cannot really imagine, even based upon what I’ve read in the Bible and the Spirit of Prophecy, Your reaction to this event. By the time You reached the garden You were feeling almost the full weight of sin, and it seems that by the time You reached Your place of prayer it was all there.

You pled with the Father to take it from You. But it seems that there was no answer— because all the sins You bore had shut Him out and He would not answer (Isa. 59:2). But You pled with Him, and sought help twice from Your sleepy disciples, but they didn’t help You either. You were all alone, in a situation that no one had ever experienced before. Paul says that You were the second Adam; but Adam had suffered none of this. He “blew it” over his infatuation with a beautiful wife. But You carried all the weight of the sins of the world on Your shoulders—even Adam’s sin of loving Eve more than You.

And yet You gained the victory, that Adam should have gained—but you had all the sins of the world laid upon You! Peter says that the sins were in Your body. That would have meant that You, who had never sinned, were now filled with sin! It was a totally new and dreadful experience for You. But You bore up under it.

Again You pled with Your Father to take it away, but again You received no answer. You must have been almost frantic by now. You went to Your disciples again for help, but they were still asleep. You were cut off from all aid. You walked completely alone—You tread the winepress alone, and there was none to help You.

O LORD, what an awful thing we did to You. We got You into a corner, and there was no way out—if You wanted to win the victory for all mankind.

And it seems that when You prayed the third time, You realized that if You didn’t go forward with the eternal plan, all would be lost. There, alone on the cold ground—all alone—You made the decision: You would save the rebels on planet earth—You loved them too much to let them die. And that decision, and the weight of all those sins, and the—I don’t have the slightest clue of what else, for it’s all a mystery.

But by now, You were sweating blood, and were it not for the angel sent from the Father to strengthen You, You probably would have died right there.

Thank God that You lived to go to Calvary. It seems that You had a “date” with Calvary at 3 that afternoon when the Passover lamb was to be slain, when, at that time, You would die for the sins of the world. In that way the type (the animal sacrifices) would meet the Antitype (the Messiah—Jesus) in the greatest exchange of all time—YOU DIED that WE MIGHT LIVE.

O thank You LORD! I love You for not giving up there in Gethsemane—for deciding to carry out Your Plan to save mankind. I love You because You suffered and died for me! I bow before You in my heart and worship You as my Eternal God! O King, live forever!

Robin, no matter how distant people are from you, you can count on Jesus to be right there with You. He knows what it means to be forsaken by literally everyone when He needed them most. And yet, He remained faithful to His Father through it all. And He will be with You through everything with which life confronts You, and help you remain faithful to the Father through it all.

I know that there’s nothing I can write that will help you stop feeling an outcast. But I do know Who can guide you through your “valley of the shadow,” for He promises, through the Psalmist: “Thou (LORD) art with me.” And so, I leave you in His care.

Perhaps a suggestion: Find a Bible study group or a church with whom you have similar beliefs. Most of these will welcome new people, and soon you’d have a number of people who would appreciate your presence. You would no longer be an outcast. (If you would give me your location I could send you the address(es) of Seventh-day Adventist churches near you.)

Feel free to write me at my personal e-mail address. I’d find it a privilege to discuss this more with you. You might also find my web page of help, Besides 43 Bible lessons, arranged by subject, you’ll also find 20 books that may be of interest to you (I wrote 18 of them). I especially recommend the book “The Desire of Ages,” by Ellen G. White, a beautiful biography of Jesus—the very best. It’s been translated into dozens of languages and has sold millions of copies. I've read it several times. Don’t miss it.

God bless you, Robin.
Thurman C. Petty, Jr.  

Bible Studies

Thurman C. Petty, Jr.

I`ve been a Pastor and Bible teacher for 40 years.

I`m a writer--author of 18 Bible-based books and over 200 journal articles. Web site: where a lot of my books and writings are posted. I've been married to the same lovely lady for 55 years. We're more in love now than when we married. My wife and I were missionaries to Pitcairn Island, in the South Pacific, from 1982-1984.

I've been a member of the Seventh-day Adventist Church since the age of 9.

Books: Pacific Press Publishing Association; PettyPress. Number of titles published: 16. Journal Articles: Adventist Review; Signs of the Times; Guide Magazine; Ministry: A Journal for Clergy; Sabbath School Leadership; The Youth's Instructor; Student Movement; Cord, and others. Total Journal articles: over 200. Web Site: Contents: 18 of my books; 41 Bible study guides; over 30 sermons; Stories; poems; links to other sites, etc. E-mail address:

I have a BA and a Master`s degree--both degrees are in Biblical studies.

I was awarded the "Golden Cord" from my Alma Mater, Union College in Lincoln, Nebraska, for my foreign mission service.