Bible Studies/2nd Kings

Question
QUESTION: Hi Teacher Scott,

I have a lot of questions this time but I'll try to do one at a time.

The first one is in 2nd Kings. Where it says "the rest of the acts of (name) and all that he did, are they not written in the book of (book)..
Did I miss that part? My daughter said she didn't understand it either and she's usually smarter than I am.

thanks,
joyce

ANSWER: Hi Joyce,

You mean like II Kings 16:19, where it says, "Now the rest of the acts of Ahaz which he did, are they not written in the book of the chronicles of the kings of Judah?"

This means that these events are also recorded in II Chronicles.

Or do you mean, like II Chronicles 9:29, where it says, "Now the rest of the acts of Solomon, first and last, are they not written in the history of Nathan the prophet, and in the prophecy of Ahijah the Shilonite, and in the visions of Iddo the seer concerning Jeroboam the son of Nebat?

These are simply historical records, other books, that are not part of the Bible. In other words, Israel's history was also recorded in history books in much the same way our nation's history is recorded in various books and historical records.

Scott

QUESTION: Ok. I understand that now.

The next thing I don't understand is : Who are the prophets? Just someone who happed to be around at that time? Or something that I missed?

ALSO, in 2nd Kings 2:12. When Elijah was taken up, Elisha said "My Father, My Father, the chariot of Israel and its horsemen!"
I've never heard anyone say that before. What does that mean?

thanks for helping me,
joyce

Answer
Hi Joyce,

When you ask, "Who are the prophets?" are you asking what a prophet is, or who are these prophets?

A prophet is one who speaks on behalf of God. Sometimes they fortold the future or performed some kind of miracle to confirm that God was the author of the message. So the act of prophesying can mean either to tell the future or preach on God's behalf.

Who are THESE prophets? While they may not have been mentioned elsewhere in Scripture, they were apparently well known in Israel at the time.

Regarding Elisha's comment:  Apparently, the vision of Elijah being taken up into heaven looked like he was taken by a host of soldiers, horses, and chariots. Elisha was describing what he witnessed in the best way he knew how.

Scott

Bible Studies

Scott Talbot