Bible Studies/God's wrath

Question
In human beings, Anger is always a secondary emotion - by that i mean that first the person is grieved or hurt and then becomes angry as a result of that first primary emotion. Is the same true of God or do his emotions go straight to wrath? Thankyou

Answer
Pete, your question is the tip of a mountain of underlying knowledge.
To begin, we need to be aware that when we talk about "God's wrath", we are speaking to God as if He were human like us [anthropomorphism, is the technical word].  So, we use our finite human words to attempt an understanding of the infinite being, God.
God's wrath [anger] is one way to speak of the opposite to the lovingness and holiness of God, Who wills and helps us to do what is right.
We humans may be justly angry at wrongdoing [see Proverbs 14:17, 29].
God's anger and mercy strain against each other [Isaiah 54:8-10], but both express His ardent attachment to humanity.  Isaiah also speaks of God's wrath against human arrogance [Isaiah 10:5-15].
In the New Testament,Paul advises in Romans 12:19 "not to take revenge but to leave place for God's wrath; for it is written, I will bring about justice, I will give due rewards, says the Lord."  We should leave to God the retribution of evil and pursue only what is good.
God manifests His loving goodness by calling sinners to repentance and conversion [1 Thessalonians 1:10, 5:9].
If you would like more, I recommend [an inter-library loan, if needed]:
The New Jerome Biblical Commentary [Prentice Hall: Englewood Cliffs, 1990]on pages 1390-1, contains an article on Paul's Theology with a section on "God and His Plan of Salvation History" with a commentary on the connection among God's wrath, righteousness, and love;
Also the article on "Wrath" [includes that of people and of God]in Dictionary of Biblical Theology, Xavier Leon-Dufour [editor]: New York, Desclee, 1967.
If you would like more from me, please feel free to write again.
May God's Easter peace remain with you.

Bible Studies

Edward Bode