Bible Studies/isaiah 11:9

Question
prior to Isaiah ll:9 it talks about the lion laying down with the lamb and total piece etc. Then in 11:9 it states "for the earth will be filled with the knowledge of the Lord as the waters cover the sea." I would like to know what being filled with the knowledge lord means: is it that God then gives us full knowledge of himself in addittion to the other peaceful perks? Or does it mean that since we are in such a peaceful environment we can understand him better? or still yet does it mean that as we look and see how much peace there is around us we realize that that peace and harmony display the knowledge of the lord? Or does it mean something else?

Answer
Pete,

May peace and the knowledge of God's true nature be with you.

Isa.11:1-9 is speaking about the return of Jesus to earth. It will be the end of the imperial power of the world system and the beginning of the reign of the one promised descendent out of what seems like an insignificant country, that is, Israel.

Mic 5:2-5
2 "But you, Bethlehem Ephrathah,Though you are little among the thousands of Judah,Yet out of you shall come forth to Me The One to be Ruler in Israel,Whose goings forth are from of old,From everlasting." 3 Therefore He shall give them up,Until the time that she who is in labor has given birth;Then the remnant of His brethren Shall return to the children of Israel.
4 And He shall stand and feed His flock In the strength of the Lord,In the majesty of the name of the Lord His God; And they shall abide,For now He shall be great To the ends of the earth;
5 And this One shall be peace.NKJV

V.5 of the above tells us that Jesus is that "peace" Isaiah is writing about.

At the same time that Jesus returns, He will separate those who belong to Him and those who had chosen to remain in the world system, which is now under the prince of this world:

Eph 2:1-3
And you He made alive, who were dead in trespasses and sins, 2 in which you once walked according to the course of this world, according to the prince of the power of the air, the spirit who now works in the sons of disobedience, 3 among whom also we all once conducted ourselves in the lusts of our flesh, fulfilling the desires of the flesh and of the mind, and were by nature children of wrath, just as the others.NKJV

Those of us who are in Christ will be in, and experience, the new heaven and earth which will be similiar to how God first created it.  When the earth was first created EVERY creature ate only vegetation and its seeds and there was no death of man nor beast.

Gen 1:29-31
And God said, "See, I have given you every herb that yields seed which is on the face of all the earth, and every tree whose fruit yields seed; to you it shall be for food. 30 Also, to every beast of the earth, to every bird of the air, and to everything that creeps on the earth, in which there is life, I have given every green herb for food"; and it was so. 31 Then God saw everything that He had made, and indeed it was very good. So the evening and the morning were the sixth day. NKJV

When Jesus returns, man will KNOW, have full knowledge of God's nature, which is and always has been  "Love".

1 John 4:7-11
7 Beloved, let us love one another, for love is of God; and everyone who loves is born of God and knows God. 8 He who does not love does not know God, FOR GOD IS LOVE. 9 In this the love of God was manifested toward us, that God has sent His only begotten Son into the world, that we might live through Him. 10 In this is love, not that we loved God, but that He loved us and sent His Son to be the propitiation for our sins. 11 Beloved, if God so loved us, we also ought to love one another. NKJV

God created all things out of His love and desired all things to be in actual harmony and real peace..  That knowledge of what God is really all about "died" in man's mind when man (Adam and Eve) chose to believe the "serpent's" lies about God: that is, that God was trying  to cheat them from being all they could be.

Gen 3:2-8
2 And the woman said to the serpent, "We may eat the fruit of the trees of the garden; 3 but of the fruit of the tree which is in the midst of the garden, God has said, 'You shall not eat it, nor shall you touch it, lest you die.'" 4 Then the serpent said to the woman, "You will not surely die. 5 For God knows that in the day you eat of it your eyes will be opened, and you will be like God, knowing good and evil." 6 So when the woman saw that the tree was good for food, that it was pleasant to the eyes, and a tree desirable to make one wise, she took of its fruit and ate. She also gave to her husband with her, and he ate. 7 Then the eyes of both of them were opened, and they knew that they were naked; and they sewed fig leaves together and made themselves coverings. 8 And they heard the sound of the Lord God walking in the garden in the cool of the day, and Adam and his wife hid themselves from the presence of the Lord God among the trees of the garden. NKJV

So, in answer to your question: Isaiah is writing about the restoration of the original knowledge and even a more complete knowledge of God by man when Jesus, the descendent of David and descendent of God returns to give us all the wonder glory that God intended for us to have when He first created man and the earth.

In Christ,
Dean  

Bible Studies

Dean Gade