Bible Studies/hotan and hosakis

I am curious as to the distinction between hotan (whenever) and hosakis (as often as). In English it seems they can be synonyms, but I have the sneaking suspicion that in Greek they are not. Does hosakis have the implication in Greek that something should be done often?

Sorry for the long delay. I have been having some problems with my computer.

As to your question:

Hotan, as you wrote, means "whenever"  or  "at that time". The subtle meaning is that it may imply a hypothesis with some uncertainty.

Hosakis does mean "as often as"  or  "as many times as".  This word implies more certainty.

However in 1 Cor 11:25-26 the participle ean is added to hosakis, (even though ean is not translated in most of our Bible versions) then hosakis ean too denotes indefiniteness or uncertainty.
1 Cor 11:25-26
25 In the same manner He also took the cup after supper, saying, "This cup is the new covenant in My blood. This do, as often as you drink it, in remembrance of Me."
26 For as often as you eat this bread and drink this cup, you proclaim the Lord's death till He comes. NKJV

Again, sorry for the delay.  I'm glad you wrote because I had not paid any attention to the difference between these two words in the past.

If you have further questions on Greek words, please to write again.

Bible Studies

Dean Gade

I can answer questions concerning the translating of specific words and translations of the New Testament. I can give the etemology of Greek words, primarily in the Koine Greek, but also in Classical Greek. I can also give explanations of much of the Bible having read it many times and written many Bible studies.

I studied Greek in earning my BA at a university and my DTh. and MDiv. at an accredited seminary. I was a diviity student at both the university and seminary, spending most of those eight years studying the Bible.