Bible Studies/monks writing the bible

Question
I was told that the monks who made copies of the bible in ancient times would write notes or explanations in the margins of thier work and that these eventually became part of the scripture itself. Can you please elaborate on this for me. Thankyou

Answer
It is true that monks, as well as scribes, wrote their comments as they copied biblical texts.  These are called "interpolations."  The goal of Biblical critism, or textual analysis, is to determine what is original in the texts.  A good book to look at would be MISQUOTING JESUS by Bart Ehrman.  Joel

Bible Studies

Joel Bjorling