Bible Studies/How is Violence Prideful

Question

Please forgive me for my ignorance, but here's my question:

At site http://srisriupdates.artoflivinguniverse.org/2013/04/sri-sri-ravi-shankar-inspir
Sri Sri Ravi Shankar was questioned:
Q. "How can we contribute to that violence-free, stress-free society?"
He answered:
A. "Create an awareness about non-violence and take pride in non-violence. Today, you know, pride unfortunately got itself attached to violence, people say tit for tat, eye for eye, if they do something I’ll do even worse for them. That type of tendency and pride is not going to make a sane society."

I don't understand how violence an example of pride. Is it that feeling superior to others (which is pride) causes you to violate the moral law so you hurt them?  

Thank you for your help.

Answer
Hi Jean,

Thank you for inquiring with All Experts. I dont understand what the previous answer's correlation between pride and violence. I'm going to answer from a theological and scholastical point of view using Biblical scriptures and journals. It gives a good foundation of its origin and the remedy for violence.

Jean, there is nothing prideful about violence. In our world, pride and violence begets violence. Violence does have its origin with the first murderous act in recorded history with Cain and Abel. As the story unfolds, Cain said to his brother: “Let us go over into the field.” (Genesis 4:8) Cain harbored murderous anger toward his brother Abel, Jehovah said to him: “If you turn to doing good, will there not be an exaltation? But if you do not turn to doing good, there is sin crouching at the entrance, and for you is its craving; and will you, for your part, get the mastery over it?” Genesis 4:7.

(Though these words are not in the Masoretic text, a number of Hebrew manuscripts have the sign of omission here, while the Samaritan Pentateuch, the Greek Septuagint, the Syriac Peshitta, and Old Latin texts all include these words as spoken by Cain to Abel.) In the field Cain attacked Abel, killing him, and thereby becoming the first human murderer. As such he could be said to have “originated with the wicked one,” who is the father of manslayers as well as of the lie. We all know the story of how Satan the Devil, because of this pride in wanting all of GOD's creation to worship him.

So with that Jean, pride with violence has germinated the fall of mankind. Pride is the inordinate self-esteem; an unreasonable feeling of superiority as to one’s talents, beauty, wealth, rank, and so forth; disdainful behavior or treatment; insolence or arrogance of demeanor; haughty bearing. Pride can, more rarely, have the good connotation of a sense of delight or elation arising from some act or possession. Some synonyms of pride are egotism, arrogance, haughtiness.

The Hebrew verb ga•ʼah′ literally means “grow tall; get high” and is the root of a number of Hebrew words conveying the idea of pride. These related forms are rendered “haughtiness,” “self-exaltation,” and, in both good and bad senses, “eminence,” and “superiority.”—Job 8:11; Ezekiel 47:5; Isaiah 9:9; Proverbs 8:13; Psalm 68:34; Amos 8:7.
The Greek word kau•kha′o•mai, meaning “boast, take pride, exult,” likewise is used in both a good and a bad sense, the usage being determined by the context.—1Corinthians 1:29; Romans 2:17; 5:2.

A proud person Jean may not recognize that he is proud and may attribute his actions to other causes in order to avoid facing the fact of his pride. Each person should examine himself and his motives thoroughly to determine whether he has this bad trait. The apostle Paul shows the need for the right motive, and the knowledge a person should have of himself in this respect, when he says: “If I give all my belongings to feed others, and if I hand over my body, that I may boast [kau•khe′so•mai], but do not have love, I am not profited at all.”—1Co 13:3.
Pride should therefore be rooted out of one’s personality for one’s own benefit. More important Jean, it must be done if a person hopes to please God. One must even come to hate it, for God’s Word says: “The fear of Jehovah means the hating of bad. Self-exaltation and pride and the bad way and the perverse mouth I have hated.”—Proverbs 8:13.

The individual who does not get rid of his pride will suffer. The Bible explaines Jean that “Pride is before a crash, and a haughty spirit before stumbling” (Pr 16:18), and “the house of the self-exalted ones Jehovah will tear down.” (Pr 15:25) There are a number of examples of the crash that proud individuals, dynasties, and nations have suffered.—Leviticus 26:18, 19; 2Chronicles 26:16; Isaiah 13:19; Jeremiah 13:9; Ezekiel 30:6, 18; 32:12; Daniel 5:22, 23, 30.

Pride is deceptive. The apostle Paul counsels: “If anyone thinks he is something when he is nothing, he is deceiving his own mind.” (Galations 6:3) The proud person seems to be taking the way most beneficial or profitable for him, but he is leaving God out of account. (Compare Jeremiah 49:16; Revelation 3:17.) The Bible says: “Better is it to be lowly in spirit with the meek ones than to divide spoil with the self-exalted ones.”—Proverbs 16:19.

The Greek verb kau•kha′o•mai (boast) is used frequently in the sense of selfish pride. The Bible shows that no man has any ground for boasting in himself or his accomplishments. In the Christian congregation at Corinth, some were puffed up with pride in themselves or in other men, bringing about divisions in the congregation. They were thinking in a fleshly way, looking to men instead of to Christ. (1Corinthians 1:10-13; 3:3, 4) These men were not interested in the congregation’s spiritual welfare, but they wanted to boast in outward appearances, not really wanting to help fellow Christians develop good hearts before God. (2Corinthians 5:12) Consequently, the apostle Paul severely reproved the congregation, showing that there was no room for them to be boasting in anyone but Jehovah God and what he had done for them. (1Co 1:28, 29; 4:6, 7) The rule was: “He that boasts, let him boast in Jehovah.”—1Corinthians 1:31; 2Corinthians 10:17.

Jesus’ half brother James went even further in condemning those who boasted about certain worldly projects they were intending to carry out, telling them: “You take pride in your self-assuming brags. All such taking of pride is wicked.”—James 4:13-16; compare Proverbs 27:1.
Is some pride good?  The Hebrew word ga•ʼah′, the Greek word kau•kha′o•mai, and their related forms are also used in a favorable sense with reference to pride or delight that arises from an action or possession. The psalmist spoke of Israel as “the pride of Jacob, whom [Jehovah] has loved.” (Psalm 47:4) In a restoration prophecy Isaiah said that the fruitage of the land would be “something to be proud of.” (Isaiah 4:2) The apostle told the Thessalonian congregation that, as a result of their faith, love, and endurance, “we ourselves take pride in you among the congregations of God.” (2Thessalonians 1:3, 4) Christians are proud that Jehovah is their God, that they have come to know him, and that he has recognized them. They follow the principle: “Let the one bragging about himself brag about himself because of this very thing, the having of insight and the having of knowledge of me, that I am Jehovah, the One exercising loving-kindness, justice and righteousness in the earth.”—Jeremiah 9:24; compare Luke 10:20.

The price that pride exacts of us, however, can be far higher than our simply missing out on some benefit or gain. There is another degree of pride that is implicit in the word “hubris,” which is defined as “exaggerated pride or self-confidence often resulting in retribution.” (Webster’s Ninth New Collegiate Dictionary) This word is rooted directly in the Greek, and according to Greek scholar William Barclay, “hubris is mingled pride and cruelty . . . , the arrogant contempt which makes [a man] trample on the hearts of his fellow men.”

A clear example of this sort of exaggerated pride appears in the Bible. It is the case of Hanun, king of Ammon. Insight on the Scriptures explains: “Because of the loving-kindness Nahash had exercised toward him, David sent messengers to comfort Hanun over the loss of his father. But Hanun, convinced by his princes that this was merely a subterfuge on David’s part to spy out the city, dishonored David’s servants by shaving off half their beards and cutting their garments in half to their buttocks and then sent them away.” Regarding this incident, Barclay observes: “That treatment was hubris. It was insult, outrage, public humiliation all combined.”—2 Samuel 10:1-5.

Yes, the proud person is capable of hubris, of being insolent, of causing humiliation to others. He enjoys hurting someone in a cold, impersonal way and then gloats over the other person’s discomfort and ignominy. But undermining or destroying someone’s self-respect is a two-edged sword. It results in losing a friend and, more than likely, making an enemy.
How can any true Christian display such hurtful pride, since his Master commanded that ‘he should love his neighbor as himself’? (Matthew 7:12; 22:39) It is simply contradictory to everything that God and Christ stand for. On this account, Barclay makes the grave observation: “Hubris is the pride which makes a man defy God.” It is the pride that says: “There is no Jehovah.” (Psalm 14:1) Or as expressed at Psalm 10:4: “The wicked one according to his superciliousness makes no search; all his ideas are: ‘There is no God.’” Such pride, or haughtiness, alienates one not only from friends and relatives but also from God. What a price to pay!

The Bible says clearly in Psalm 11:5 that .Jehovah [God] himself examines the righteous one as well as the wicked one, And anyone loving violence His soul certainly hates.
Now, knowing that almost every nation has experienced violence and has risen up into an ever-present danger. The increasing lawlessness is attributed to various causes, such as nationalism, racism, poverty and unemployment. But what is the primary root of the trouble and is there any protective step that can be taken? If we honestly and sincerely want the answers to these questions and have the courage to face the truth, we can get the answers. Then we as individuals can, with such courage, together with knowledge and quick response, save the lives of ourselves and our families.

We see only temporary solutions like more police, stiffer prison terms, gun control, the death penalty—these have all been proposed and tried as means to curb crime and violence. They have brought varying degrees of success, but the sad fact is that violence is still very much with us. Why? It is because these measures merely treat the symptoms.

On the other hand, many experts feel that the key to putting an end to violence is education. While this idea is sound, we must note that violence is not limited to nations where educational opportunities are limited. If anything, it seems that some of the most violent nations are also those with the highest standards of education. It is not difficult to see that what is needed is not just education but the right kind of education. What kind would that be? Is there someone who is able to teach people to be peace-loving and upright individuals?

The Bible answers that question and it says, “I, Jehovah, am your God, the One teaching you to benefit yourself, the One causing you to tread in the way in which you should walk. O if only you would actually pay attention to my commandments! Then your peace would become just like a river, and your righteousness like the waves of the sea.” (Isaiah 48:17, 18) How does Jehovah God teach people to be peace loving and righteous? Primarily through his Word, the Bible.

We find a parallel in the bad circumstances that came to a head in the land of Judah just before the destruction of that nation. In fact, God saw to it that a description of Judah’s deplorable condition and the root cause were written down, as a sample of what would exist on a far greater scale today. God set the issue plainly before his professed people and did not let them go on without warning, but revealed with full impact the kind of nation they had become. Hosea, who prophesied to both the northern kingdom of Israel and to Judah, boldly said: “There are the pronouncing of curses and practicing of deception and murdering and stealing and committing of adultery that have broken forth, and acts of bloodshed have touched other acts of bloodshed.” Jeremiah described Jerusalem: “She is nothing but oppression in the midst of her. . . . Violence and despoiling are heard in her; sickness and plague are before my face constantly.” Ezekiel said that the land was filled with violence. If we read the scriptural texts below, we can see the results of not following Jehovah’s loving direction.
Hosea 4:2; There are the pronouncing of curses and practicing of deception and murdering and stealing and committing of adultery that have broken forth, and acts of bloodshed have touched other acts of bloodshed.

Jeremiah 6:6, 7; For this is what Jehovah of armies has said: “Cut down wood and throw up against Jerusalem a siege rampart. She is the city with which an accounting must be held. She is nothing but oppression in the midst of her. 7 As a cistern keeps its waters cool, so she has kept her badness cool. Violence and despoiling are heard in her; sickness and plague are before my face constantly.

Ezekiel 8:17; 9:9. And he went on to say to me: “Have you seen [this], O son of man? Is it such a light thing to the house of Judah to do the detestable things that they have done here, that they have to fill the land with violence and that they should offend me again, and here they are thrusting out the shoot to my nose.

What brought about this state of affairs Jean? Hosea explains: “There is no truth nor loving-kindness nor knowledge of God in the land.” (Hosea. 4:1) So the root cause was that the people had forsaken the law and the knowledge of God. But this was not all, because along with the forsaking of God’s law they had come under the corrupting influence of Babylonish false religion. How can false religion bring such a thing about? What religious practices cause such degradation, bringing a nation to decay and to the brink of destruction? If we examine the account we shall see.

Jean violence reached a saturation point in Jerusalem during the reign of King Zedekiah of Judah, who was made a vassal by King Nebuchadnezzar of Babylon, the Third World Power, in 617 B.C.E. The prophet Jeremiah foretold the complete desolation of Judah and also a later fall for Babylon. But he wrote to those Jews who had been taken into captivity in 617 B.C.E. and who were in Babylon, that their nation had gone too far in disobedience to God, that they would not be brought back to their homeland before a period of seventy years and that they should not be rebellious toward Babylon. Jeremiah 29:1-10; 27:1-15. What does a saturation point mean? Its like sponge that can no longer absorb any fluids anymore.

But at Babylon itself, there was also another prophet of Jehovah. His writings, especially, give us a picture of how the root of Judah’s trouble was Babylonish false religion. This was Ezekiel, who started to prophesy in Babylonia in 613 B.C.E., continuing for twenty-two years.—Ezek. 1:1-3; 3:15; 29:17, 18.

While Ezekiel, captive in Babylonia, was not in Jerusalem to see what was going on there, God, by the inspirational power of his spirit, transported Ezekiel in vision to the temple of Jehovah at Jerusalem. There, at the inner north gate, he saw a detestable idol set up in violation of the exclusive devotion demanded by Jehovah God and contrary to the Second of the Ten Commandments (Exodus 20:4-6) Inside, carved on the temple, was “every representation of creeping things and loathsome beasts, and all the dungy idols of the house of Israel.” Seventy elderly men of Israel were actually offering incense to these idolatrous carvings. They thought that Jehovah did not see them doing so.—Ezekiel. 8:1, 3-12.

This was Babylonish false religion. How do we connect it up with Babylon? Ezekiel tells us: “So he brought me to the entrance of the gate of the house of Jehovah, which is toward the north, and, look! there the women were sitting, weeping over the god Tammuz.” Here, in Ezekiel 8:13, 14, the Roman Catholic Douay Version calls this god “Adonis,” for that is what the official Latin Vulgate version calls him. Who was he?

The name Adonis, by which this deity was known to the Greeks, is none other than the Phoenician אדון, ’Adhōn, which is the same in Hebrew. . . .
(1) The name of a Phoenician deity, the Adonis of the Greeks. He was originally a Sumerian or Babylonian sun-god, called Dumuzu, the husband of Ishtar, who corresponds to Aphrodite [Venus] of the Greeks. The worship of these deities was introduced into Syria in very early times under the designation of Tammuz and Astarte, and appears among the Greeks in the myth of Adonis and Aphrodite, who are identified with Osiris and Isis of the Egyptian pantheon, showing how widespread the cult became. The Babylonian myth represents Dumuzu, or Tammuz, as a beautiful shepherd slain by a wild boar, the symbol of winter. Ishtar long mourned for him and descended into the underworld to deliver him from the embrace of death. . . . This mourning for Tammuz was celebrated in Babylonia by women on the 2d day of the 4th month, which thus acquired the name of Tammuz. . . . The women of Gebal [Syria] used to repair to this temple in midsummer to celebrate the death of Adonis or Tammuz, and there arose in connection with this celebration those licentious rites which rendered the cult so infamous that it was suppressed by Constantine the Great.—The International Standard Bible Encyclopaedia, edition of 1955, Volume 5, page 2908a.

According to The Encyclopedia Americana (Volume 26 of the 1929 edition, page 238), the name Dumuzu in Sumerian means “the sun of life.” But The Two Babylons, by Hislop, page 245, says:
The name Tammuz, as applied to Nimrod or Osiris, was equivalent to Alorus, or the “god of fire,” and seems to have been given to him as the great purifier by fire. Tammuz is derived from tam, “to make perfect,” and muz, “fire,” and signifies “Fire the perfecter,” or “the perfecting fire.” To this meaning of the name, as well as to the character of Nimrod as the Father of the gods, the Zoroastrian verse alludes when it says: “All things are the progeny of ONE FIRE. The FATHER perfected all things, and delivered them to the second mind, whom all nations of men call the first.” . . . And hence, too, no doubt, the necessity of the fire of Purgatory to “perfect” men’s souls at last, and to purge away all the sins that they have carried with them into the unseen world.

Further, on Tammuz, Hislop adds, on pages 21, 22:
In scripture he is referred to (Ezekiel 8:14) under the name of Tammuz, but he is commonly known among classical writers under the name of Bacchus, that is, “The Lamented One.” To the ordinary reader the name of Bacchus suggests nothing more than revelry and drunkenness, but it is now well known, that amid all the abominations that attended his orgies, their grand design was professedly “the purification of souls,” and that from the guilt and defilement of sin. This lamented one, exhibited and adored as a little child in his mother’s arms, . . .
It is not hard to see how this permeation of Babylonish false religion incurred God’s displeasure and brought a most debasing influence on the Jews’ way of life. Babylon had been the source of confusion and the beginning of violence in the earth after the Flood. (Gen. 10:8-12; 11:8, 9) Its religion promoted all forms of lawlessness and vice, including demonism, magic, charms and sorcery. It glorified sex and promoted perverted sex practices.
Among the Babylonians an upright cross was a sacred symbol. As in the Hebrew alphabet, such a cross was the original form of their letter T (or Taw), and so it was the initial letter of the name of their god Tammuz, or Bacchus. The cross was worshiped centuries before the so-called Christian era.

That this worship spread from Babylon is noted by archaeologist V. Gordon Childe:
A ‘seal’ from Mohenjodaro depicts a horned deity with three faces sitting crosslegged in the attitude of ritual meditation between various wild animals; he is obviously the prototype of Siva, ‘three-faced,’ ‘lord of beasts,’ ‘prince of yogis,’ . . . Several clay tablets depict a male deity; one shows a river gushing out of a goddess’s womb. . . . The swastika and the cross, common on stamps and plaques, were religious or magical symbols as in Babylonia and Elam in the earliest prehistoric period, but preserve that character also in modern India as elsewhere.

In the book The Two Babylons (Hislop), on pages 199, 204, 205, regarding the cross:
It was worshipped in Mexico for ages before the Roman Catholic missionaries set foot there, large stone crosses being erected probably to the “god of rain.” The cross thus widely worshipped, or regarded as a sacred emblem, was the unequivocal symbol of Bacchus, the Babylonian Messiah, for he was represented with a head-band covered with crosses . . . This symbol of the Babylonian god is reverenced at this day in all the wide wastes of Tartary [Asian and European location of Tatars], where Buddhism prevails, and the way in which it is represented among them forms a striking commentary on the language applied by Rome to the Cross. “The cross,” says Colonel Wilford, in the Asiatic Researches, “though not an object of worship among the Baud’has or Buddhists, is a favourite emblem and device among them. . . . [in Christendom] the Tau, the sign of the cross, the indisputable sign of Tammuz, the false Messiah, was everywhere substituted in its stead [in the stead of the Greek Letter Chi or X as in Christós]. . . . ”

Doubtless, the cross was sacred as a symbol among those apostate Jewish women who polluted Jehovah’s temple by sitting there and weeping over the Babylonian Bacchus, the god Tammuz. These women were, in effect, bewailing the death of the mighty hunter Nimrod, the founder of Babylon, who no doubt met a violent death because he was guilty of violence toward man and beasts. (Genesis. 10:8-10; 9:6) Whereas those Jewish women were indirectly worshiping the sun-god in the same way that Babylonian women did, the prophet Ezekiel saw men performing direct worship of the sun at Solomon’s temple in Jerusalem.—Ezekiel. 8:16.

Nimrod was the father of violence after the Flood. He not only killed animals in wanton slaughter, but he also hunted men and taught others to hunt and slaughter men. So the worship of Nimrod as the god Tammuz or Bacchus would naturally cause these people to act like Nimrod, since it is a principle that a person imitates the god he worships, and takes on the qualities, good or bad, attributed to that god. (Romans. 1:22-28; John 8:44; 1 Corinthians. 11:1; Romans. 12:2; Ephesians 4:22-24; Galatians 5:22, 23) The Babylonians also supported Nimrod-like violence by their belief that life in the cavernous Aralu, their supposed abode of the dead, was more tolerable for soldiers than for the rest of mankind. And the god Bacchus is even today a symbol of wanton revelry. Cross-represented Nimrod worship could produce nothing else but violence and debauchery throughout the land.

The debasing and morally filthy Babylonish worship to which the Jews degraded brought in many loathsome diseases. Where righteousness and law-keeping had resided, murder became a commonplace thing. (Isaiah. 1:15, 21; Jeremiah. 7:9; Deuteronomy 28:58-61) Hatred and violence were directed especially against those who stood for the worship of Jehovah and for his law. (2 Kings 24:3, 4; Jeremiah 26:8; 32:2, 3; 37:15, 16; 38:4) Did God see and care, enough to take action? He said to Ezekiel: “Have you seen this, O son of man? Is it such a light thing to the house of Judah to do the detestable things that they have done here, that they have to fill the land with violence and that they should offend me again, and here they are thrusting out the shoot to my nose? And I myself also shall act in rage. My eye will not feel sorry, neither shall I feel compassion. And they will certainly call out in my ears with a loud voice, but I shall not hear them.” Ezekiel. 8:17, 18.

In Ezekiel’s vision Jehovah’s executioners started by killing first those twenty-five sun-worshipers, then the seventy men who were worshiping idolatrous carvings on the walls and those women who were weeping for the cross-marked god Tammuz. (Ezekiel. 8:17 to 9:8) This was but a preview of what was about to befall Jerusalem, to be discussed in later issues of this magazine. Jeremiah 25:9, 15-18.

This page of Judah’s history clearly shows that Babylonish false religion was truly the cause of the troubles of Judah, a nation who had Jehovah for their God, his law being their national law, and who had experienced his protection and peace, prosperity, moral and physical cleanness while they were obedient to him. It helps us to see that Babylonish false religion is at the root of the evils and the lawlessness and violence in the world. Its bad practices in the name of God have turned many, even in Christendom, completely away from belief in God and have caused them to be prey to ideologies such as atheistic communism, which in turn brings in more violence. No nation today can last, anymore than Judah did, if its religious systems follow the practices of Babylonish worship.

But Jesus Christ gave encouraging direction to honest individuals among the nations by his words: “This means everlasting life, their taking in knowledge of you, the only true God, and of the one whom you sent forth, Jesus Christ.” (John 17:3) Taking in the true knowledge of Jehovah God and his Son and associating with those who worship God with spirit and truth will not develop confusion or the superstitious fear of purgatory or hellfire. Neither will it promote wrong sexual appetite or the desire to do violence to property or to our fellowman. It will prevent us from going down the degraded road to destruction that the nations are traveling. It will make us clean and bring us peace and the favor of God, with an assurance of life in his new order of righteousness.—John 4:23, 24.

Ancient History, Part 1, by P. V. N. Myers, page 72, and Religion of Babylon and Assyria, by Jastrow, pages 145-147, 556, 557, 560, 657, 659, 701.
New Light on the Most Ancient East, edition of 1953, pages 184, 185, in chapter IX entitled “Indian Civilization in the Third Millennium B.C.”
Under “Crosses and Crucifixes,” The Encyclopedia Americana, edition of 1929, Volume 8, page 238, says: The cross as a symbol dates back to an unknown antiquity. It was recognized in all countries throughout the world at all times. Before the present era the Buddhists, Brahmans, and Druids utilized the device. Seymour tells us: “The Druids considered that the long arm of the cross symbolized the way of life, the short arms the three conditions of the spirit world, equivalent to heaven, purgatory and hell.” With the ancient Egyptians the cross was a reverenced symbol. Their ankh (crux ansata or handled cross) represented life, and a perpendicular shaft with several arms at right angles (Nile cross) appears to have had some reference to fertility of crops. Five of their planet symbols . . . were represented by a cross attached to a circle or part of a circle. Prescott says that when the first Europeans arrived in Mexico, to their surprise, they found “the cross, the sacred emblem of their own faith, raised as an object of worship in the temples of Anahuac.”

Being taught by Jehovah and walking in his peaceful paths can produce wonderful changes in people’s lives. One of the changes is foretold in the same prophecy: “They will have to beat their swords into plowshares and their spears into pruning shears. Nation will not lift up sword against nation, neither will they learn war anymore.” (Isaiah 2:4) Many people have read this scripture. In fact, this text is carved on a wall at the United Nations Plaza in New York City. It is a reminder of what the United Nations aspires to but has failed to realize. This elimination of war and violence is not to be achieved by any man-made political organization. It is something that Jehovah God alone is capable of doing. How will Jehovah accomplish this? He invites everyone to be taught by him.

Obviously not everyone will respond to the invitation to “go up to the mountain of Jehovah” and ‘be instructed about his ways’ and “walk in his paths”; nor will all be willing to “beat their swords into plowshares and their spears into pruning shears.” What will Jehovah do about such ones? He will not forever hold open the door of opportunity or wait on them to change. To bring an end to violence, Jehovah will also bring an end to those who insist on their violent ways.
Jehovah’s Witnesses are committed to helping others to gain accurate knowledge of God’s purpose as revealed in his Word, the Bible. In every corner of the earth, they are searching out those who want to learn Jehovah’s ways and be taught by him. Their efforts are bearing fruit. The result of this educational campaign is that a marvelous prophecy is being fulfilled.
Some 2,700 years ago, the prophet Isaiah was inspired to write: “It must occur in the final part of the days that . . . many peoples will certainly go and say: ‘Come, you people, and let us go up to the mountain of Jehovah, to the house of the God of Jacob; and he will instruct us about his ways, and we will walk in his paths.’”—Isaiah 2:2, 3.

Through the psalmist, Jehovah gives this assurance: “Just a little while longer, and the wicked one will be no more; and you will certainly give attention to his place, and he will not be. But the meek ones themselves will possess the earth, and they will indeed find their exquisite delight in the abundance of peace.”—Psalm 37:10, 11.

Jehovah’s Christian Witnesses will be happy to study the Bible with you so that you can join those who say: “Let us go up to the mountain of Jehovah, to the house of the God of Jacob; and he will instruct us about his ways, and we will walk in his paths.” (Isaiah 2:3) By so doing, you can be among those who will see the end of all wickedness and violence. You can find “exquisite delight in the abundance of peace.”

In Hebrew the word for the verb “to weep” is bakhah (בכה), as in Ezekiel 8:14.

The International Standard Bible Encyclopedia, edition of 1955, Volume 1, page 373.

See footnote d on Ezekiel 8:17, New World Translation of the Holy Scriptures, 1958 edition.  

Bible Studies

Dr. DDD, M.S.,Psy.D, CASA