Bible Studies/Greek words

Question
Thank you for you help. Could you explain a little the difference between hamartia vs hamartano in the Greek? I know they both are translated sin in English but Strongs has one 264 and one 266 in his book. I'm interested in how they are used in respect to 1John 1:7 and 1John 3:6. Thanks

Answer
Josh,

There is no real difference between these two words.  Both have the basic meaning of "missing the mark", as when an arrow is shot towards a target and misses it or an athlete fails to win a prize that he has set as a goal.

THE DIFFERENCES ARE:
Hamartias in I Jn.1:7 is a singular genitive NOUN.  John is writing about "sin" in the sense of the PRINCIPLE of sin; here it is more abstract, that which we inherited from Adam at the fall of man. This aspect of sin tells us that we sin because we ARE sinners and not that we are sinners BECAUSE we sin.  Cf. Rom. 5:12(below)

Rom 5:12
"12 Therefore as sin came into the world through one man and death through sin, and so death spread to all men because all men sinned" .RSV  (The first two words for "sin" are Srong's #264 and the third time in the verse it is #266)

In I Jn 3:6 John uses the VERB form of the word: the act of sinning.  So # 264 is more absolute.   

In I Jn 5:16 John uses the VERB, hamartavonta (a present active participle singular accusative verb)and the NOUN, hamartian, (a singular accusative noun) side by side.  He uses both the noun form and verb form twice in this verse:
1 John 5:16
"16 If any one may see his brother sinning a sin not unto death, he shall ask, and He shall give to him life to those sinning not unto death; there is sin to death, not concerning it do I speak that he may beseech;"YLT

Back to I Jn. 3:6:  John is saying that if we remain in trust (faith) of Jesus having taken the penalty of our sin on Himself by the shedding of His blood on the cross, we will find that the power of sin over us will decrease and we will not "remain" under that power.  We will, instead, have a steady winning fight against sinning, a constant purification of self by knowing and looking at Jesus' sacrifice, grace and help.

2 Cor 3:18
18 And we all, with unveiled face, beholding the glory of the Lord, are being changed into his likeness from one degree of glory to another; for this comes from the Lord who is the Spirit.
RSV

I do hope this helps answer your question.  If you need further clarification please write to me again.

Yours, in Jesus our Savior,

Dean  

Bible Studies

Dean Gade