Bible Studies/every single sin forgiven?

Question
QUESTION: Can we out sin God? Are all sins forgivable? I know 1 John 1:9 says he cleanses us from ALL unrighteousness. What about the blasphemy of the holy spirit or unforgivable sin? If someone had blasphemous thoughts or called God evil out of anger, not meaning it or actually thinking that he is evil, and asked for forgiveness, would God forgive them, or is it unforgivable?

ANSWER: Hi Amanda,

Yes, all sins are forgivable. If not, God would not have told us so.

Mark 3 and Matthew 12 speak about The Unpardonable Sin. I believe that this sin involves rejecting the Holy Spirit to such an extent that one's heart becomes calloused and he no longer is sensitive to the Holy Spirit.

The following web site answers this question well:  http://christiananswers.net/q-eden/unpardonablesin.html

Also, if you go back and look through my archives, you will find where I've dealt with this question in the past. Pulling up those blogs may be helpful.

Scott

QUESTION: Thank you! I read a couple of your older blogs.  What happened was that I was tired and very grumpy, and this awful blasphemous thought that God had an evil plan ran through my mind.  It was very intrusive because I don't think that about God!  I am afraid, though, that I may have thought it intentionally because of how tired and irritable I was.  I asked the Lord for forgiveness, but I had also been reading through Mark at the time, and I began to worry that my thought was basically the same thing that the Pharisees did.  It made me very afraid!  I keep reminding myself that the Bible says that he will cleanse us from all unrighteousness if we confess our sins.

So, every sin CAN be forgiven, and blasphemy of the Holy Spirit isn't speaking or thinking a stupid, terrible thought about God, but a consistent and permanent rejection of his work?  It's not that it's just so terrible a sin that God just refuses to forgive it?  

Do you think someone who is committing this sin would even ever want forgiveness?  If someone genuinely wants to turn from their sin and be forgiven by the Lord, he wouldn't turn them away?

I really appreciate your answer! Thank you so much.  This has really been bothering me.  I would never say anything so terrible (like that thought) about God.  I don't know why I had that thought, but I really hate it!

Answer
Amanda,

The fact that you feel this way shows that your heart is sensitive towards God, and that the Holy Spirit is working in you. This, in part, proves that you have not committed the Unpardonable Sin.

To clarify, I believe the Bible teaches that the Unpardonable Sin is something that only a non-believer, non-Christian can commit. It involves such resistance towards the Holy Spirit that eventually one's heart becomes calloused, making the Holy Spirit's work ineffective.

It is the Holy Spirit who enables one to understand God's truth and who draws one to Christ. If one continues to resist the Holy Spirit's work, there may come a point at which he crosses the point of no return.

You have nothing to worry about, Amanda. Do not become preoccupied with guilt and worry. This is why God grants forgiveness. Instead, thank Him for His mercy, grace, and forgiveness.

Scott

Bible Studies

Scott Talbot