Bible Studies/anxiety

Question
Pax!
Philipians 4:6 says:
"Be nothing solicitous; but in every thing, by prayer and supplication, with thanksgiving, let your petitions be made known to God." (Douay bible)
"Have no anxiety about anything, but in everything by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known to God." (RSVCE)

Most of the time I have come across translations that use the word anxiety. Is that really a good translation? And what does the term "anxiety" mean when used in the Epistels? He can't possibly have been speaking of psychiatry.

Answer
The original Greek is a verb imperative -- be not anxious or concerned.  The word appears in the gospels and well as in Paul, for example, Phil 2:20.
I do not think that one can read a modern medical meaning into a first century common word, although there is a relationship -- bible, general; medical, specific.
To get an appreciation for a biblical word, it helps to look at other uses of the same word -- you might check Mt 6:27,31, Luke 12:25, 1 Cor 7:32-34.
The general message relates to not becoming so [or too]involved with less important matters that one loses sight of religious values, especially hope and trust in God's generous love and providence.

Tack for writing and best wishes, Hank.

Bible Studies

Edward Bode