Bible Studies/Book of Genesis

I'm trying to get an answer to a question: In Genesis, God removed a rib from Adam, to form Eve. I have been trying to find out which side of Adam did God remove the rib from. Right side, being "the right side of God", or the left side closer to the heart, which is a symbol of love. I understand that woman were made from the rib so that they may be loved and protected by the man, not mistreated. I was told that I may need to go back to the original torah,or Hebrew writings. Any help would be very much thanked...GOD BLESS...

Hi, Phillip,
Thank you for submitting your question. The Bible actually does not tell us from which side of Adam Yahweh removed his rib to make Eve, so it's anyone's guess. God did not disclose this information to us in His Word because He only shares with us whatever is necessary for us to know. As the Bible says, "The secret things belong to Yahweh our God; but the things that are revealed belong to us and to our children forever, that we may do all the words of this law." (Deuteronomy 29:29, WEB)

The "heart" is not the symbol of love in the Bible; it's so only in Western civilization. Ancient Middle Easterners associated the "heart" with our thoughts, will, and morality. In other words, they viewed the heart the way we view our mind. The organs that they associated our feelings and emotions are with our kidneys. Thus, even if the Bible told us that the rib came from Adam's left side, this would not convey what we the Westerners believe.

Also, it's man's conjecture why God made Eve from the man's rib, and not from any other material. The Bible simply does not give us the reason why Yahweh created the woman using the man's rib. Personally, I believe God used the man's rib to make Eve in order to achieve intimacy. It's akin to a mother giving birth to her own child; many agree that a mother feels more intimate with her child if she has given birth to him as opposed to adopting him. So when the woman came from the man's own body, they have that intimacy to begin with. A woman is truly a part of the man (Genesis 2:23), so the man should love the woman the way he loves his own body (Ephesians 5:25-31).

Please let me know if you have any other question, and I'd be more than glad to do my best to answer it.

Thank you again for your submission, and enjoy your day.

Bible Studies

Dr. Shirley Cheng

I will be more than glad to answer questions in regards to a) passages in the Torah, also known as the Pentateuch, which is comprised of the first five "books" of the Bible: Genesis, Exodus, Leviticus, Numbers, and Deuteronomy; b) passages in the historical books of Joshua, Judges, Ruth, 1 Samuel, and 2 Samuel; and c) basic Biblical doctrines, precepts, and principles. When you ask about a specific passage, please indicate the chapter and verse(s) wherever possible. Before you ask a question about a Biblical doctrine, principle, or precept, please first check to see if your question is already answered. If you're interested in an in-depth Bible study of the entire Bible from Genesis to Revelation, you are more than welcome to sign up for my e-mail virtual class at

I am the founder of Ministry and a Bible teacher who is teaching the Bible in depth from Genesis to Revelation. I have read fourteen different versions of the Bible, written a book on Christianity titled "Do You Love Jehovah? God Almighty's Infinite Love & Wisdom to Propel You to Greatness," and have personally experienced the power, love, and protection of my Heavenly Father throughout my life. Being a blind and physically disabled individual who is passionately in love with life, I am a living example of what faith in Yahweh God Almighty can do for you.

I am the author of nine books, contributor to over twenty-five, and some of my articles are posted on my website My books include "Do You Love Jehovah?" "Embrace Ultra-Ability!" and "Dance with Your Heart."

Bachelor of Biblical Studies, Master of Divinity, and Doctor of Divinity

I have received twenty-seven book awards, seven of which are for "Do You Love Jehovah?" The Awards include: Gold – Mom’s Choice Awards – Spirituality/Religion; Finalist – 2010 International Book Awards – Christianity; Finalist – 2010 International Book Awards – Christian Inspirational; Finalist – National Best Books 2009 Awards – Christianity; Finalist – National Indie Excellence 2010 Awards – Religion; Second Place – 2010 Written Art Awards – Religion/Spirituality; Honorable Mention – Reader Views 2009 Literary Awards – Religion (Eastern/Western)