Bible Studies/greek punctuation

Gary Cummings, M.Div wrote at 2013-10-08 17:39:58
It is very difficult to make a Bible Teaching based on the placement of commas. The original Koine Greek text was written in all capital letters without our current commas or periods.

To shift a comma to prove a point is not good Bible teaching, and is very questionable.

Examples are:

"I would not have you ignorant, brethren" changed to "I would not have you, ignorant brethren."

or

"Let him who stole, steal no more working with his hands."

or

"Let him who stole steal, no more working with his hands."

You see the difference the changing of the comma causes.

The whole sense of the sentence needs to be understood in its context, and compared to the other Scriptures on the same topic. The is called The Analogy of Scripture, using the rest of Scripture to inform the meaning of another Scripture.

Thanks,

Gary Cummings, M.Div.

Bible Studies

Dean Gade