Bible Studies/forgiveness

Question
Hello again Mr Gade and thank you for taking my question. I have been struggling with forgiving people because I truely dont know what forgiveness is. Please read the following:

I am at a complete loss of understanding as to what forgiveness is. Allow me to explain: When God forgives sin, according to the bible it is in the following way:
1)" In fact, the law requires that nearly everything be cleansed with blood, and without the shedding of blood there is no forgiveness." Hebrews 9:22. So we see the in when God forgives it is with the shedding of blood
2) 1)" God made him who had no sin to be sin for us, so that in him we might become the righteousness of God". 2 corinthians 5:21. So God took our sins and Jesus turned into them according to this verse and many others.
3) Then Jesus (who now was our sin) died on the cross and our sins - which Jesus was, died along with him.
4) So God didnt just pardon our sins and say "I'll let them slide if you say im sorry and repent". What he did was to exact punishment (the punishment of Jesus and his death on the cross). He punished our sins, demanded bloodshed and killed them and THAT is how we are forgiven.
    My inability to understand forgiveness comes in here - When God wants me to forgive someone for a sin such as stealing from me, he certainly doesnt want me to shed blood and exact punishment on a cross by to before I forgive that perons sins.
     So I guess my question is - If I am forgiving sins, but Im not doing it the way God did it.....Then by what way am I forgiving them.
    I really need to understand this, I am totally baffled and have no idea what forgiveness really is.

Answer
Pete again,

Yes, these things can be a bit confusing.

The context of Heb.9:22 is that Jesus is the mediator of a New Covenant by means of His death by which the transgressions of the first Covenant are covered and the transgressors are redeemed.

What Jesus did is to take the punishment for all man's transgressions against that first covenant and give His righteousness to all who trust Him to have covered their transgressions  of the Law and is able to give them His perfect righteousness which was proven by His resurrection from the dead.

There was no promise of God to let any transgression of that Law "slide". The punishment for all was paid in full by Jesus for each of us. As Jesus said on the cross just before He died:  "It is finished"  What was "finished"?  His purpose for coming into the world, namely, to save sinners:

Matt 18:11
11 For the Son of Man has come to save that which was lost. NKJV

John 3:16-17
 17 For God did not send His Son into the world to condemn the world, but that the world through Him might be saved. NKJV

1 Tim 1:15-16
15 This is a faithful saying and worthy of all acceptance, that Christ Jesus came into the world to save sinners, of whom I am chief. NKJV

This is the work He "Finished" by His death and resurrection.

Their is no requirement of death or blood in our relationship with others.  We have no such covenant with them.   So, yes, you are "not doing it the way God did it."  You and I forgive others simply because we are under the covenant of Grace and not the Law.  We receive and practice living what Jesus us:

Matt 6:8-15
8 "Therefore do not be like them. For your Father knows the things you have need of before you ask Him.  9 In this manner, therefore, pray:
Our Father in heaven,Hallowed be Your name. 10 Your kingdom come. Your will be done
On earth as it is in heaven. 11 Give us this day our daily bread.
12 And forgive us our debts, as we forgive our debtors. 13 And do not lead us into temptation,
But deliver us from the evil one. For Yours is the kingdom and the power and the glory forever. Amen.
14 "For if you forgive men their trespasses, your heavenly Father will also forgive you.  15 But if you do not forgive men their trespasses, neither will your Father forgive your trespasses. NKJV

If we demand to be in the Old Covenant again with its forgiveness only through blood, then we will again be judged for our sin under the Law and without the New Covenant redemption by Jesus the Savior.

John 1:14-18
14 And the Word became flesh and dwelt among us, and we beheld His glory, the glory as of the only begotten of the Father, full of grace and truth.

15 John bore witness of Him and cried out, saying, "This was He of whom I said, 'He who comes after me is preferred before me, for He was before me.'"

16 And of His fullness we have all received, and grace for grace. 17 For the law was given through Moses, but grace and truth came through Jesus Christ. 18 No one has seen God at any time. The only begotten Son, who is in the bosom of the Father, He has declared Him. KJV

I hope that this helps.  If not, write again.

Dean  

Bible Studies

Dean Gade