Bible Studies/greek punctuation

hi Dean your profile says you know greek, so for the question. i have a father inlaw who belonged to the world wide church of God and got really hurt but holds on to many of their teachings, for example,luke 23:43  And Jesus said unto him, Verily I say unto thee, To day shalt thou be with me in paradise. the bible he has got his hands on changes the comma to say " And Jesus said unto him, Verily I say unto thee To day, shalt thou be with me in paradise." how do we know where the comma is supposed to be?

I can't recall any class or book which covered Greek punctuation. And I did study Ancient, Classical and Koine (biblical) Greek.

The universally accepted text of the New Testament in Greek is the Nestle-Aland "Novum Testamentum Graece". At the bottom of each page in Greek, it lists all variations in any manuscript of the N.T. that we have found...and Nestle shows no variation concerning the comma being placed only after "Truly I say to you".

This would be the most logical place that the comma should be according to the context of the verse. Jesus is assuring the man that He will remember and receive him on that very day, the day of the man's death, because of his faith in Jesus as his savior.

I don't see any reason why a translation of that verse would put the emphasis on Jesus making this promise on that particular day, rather than giving assurance that the man would wake from the death of his body immediately with all of us in eternity. I would be interested if this world wide church of God gives a reason for  that change.

May God bless you and your father as you read His words of promise to us.

Bible Studies

Dean Gade

I can answer questions concerning the translating of specific words and translations of the New Testament. I can give the etemology of Greek words, primarily in the Koine Greek, but also in Classical Greek. I can also give explanations of much of the Bible having read it many times and written many Bible studies.

I studied Greek in earning my BA at a university and my DTh. and MDiv. at an accredited seminary. I was a diviity student at both the university and seminary, spending most of those eight years studying the Bible.