Bible Studies/The flood

The bible tells us that two of each kind of all animals  were taken into the Ark. And the whole earth was flooded. In those days the world then was known as being flat. Here is my Question; Australia was not known to that part of the world, so how did the Kangaroos and Koala bears make it to the Ark?

Hi Patrick,

Nice to hear from you.

You ask a good question. First, let's talk about species of animals. For example, there are many types of animals belonging to the canine species. This includes all dogs, wolves, jackals, coyotes, etc. Only one pair of animals representing the species needed to be included on the ark in order to produce the many variations present today within the species.

The same is true of marsupials, which includes kangaroos, koalas (not really bears/ursidae), wallabies, possums, and wombats.

So how did marsupials, currently found predominantly in Australia, get to the ark, which is presumed to have launched from Eurasia?

One possibility is that, at one point, there was one great land mass that later was broken up into separate land masses, forming the continents as they are today. Some refer to this theory as "Continental Drift." See for a discussion of this theory and how it fits the Bible. Also and Compare Genesis 1:9 and 7:11.

I hope this helps. If you have further questions, feel free to write back.

Bible Studies

Scott Talbot

I have studied the Bible and Bible-related topics since the time I was very young. My education includes a Bachelor of Science degree with a major in Bible, and a Master of Divinity degree. I enjoy delving into deep theological issues and always enjoy a healthy debate. But more importantly, I like working with people and helping them to find the answers that they are looking for. And I am convinced that these answers are available in the Bible.

By the grace and mercy of God, I have been saved, born again, adopted into the family of God. God has given me a love for the Bible, and for Bible-related subjects. In addition, He has blessed me with ongoing training in the Scriptures, from my youth on up. The more I learn about God through His Word, the more I want to share!

Campus Crusade for Christ, Grace Church at Willow Valley

Pillsbury Baptist Bible College - B.S. Bible & Pastorology; Calvary Baptist Theological Seminary - M.Div.