Bible Studies/"I and the Father are One," John 10:30" Caller wrote at 2008-09-29 15:55:23

Question
Hi Marilyn,

This is what you said in your response to Mohammad.

"Monotheism according to Islam is Allah and only Allah. Allah does not have sons. In Islam there is no Father, Son and Holy Spirit. Christianity claims Three Persons in One, a Triune Godhead form of monotheism. This is what Jesus taught, "I and the Father are One," John 10:30."

For your info, Jesus, and his parents were Jews, and also his desciples. And Jews are Monotheist not TRINITARIANS.

Only Denominations from the Christendoms were influenced by TRINITARIANS.

Now, you used John 10:30 which clearly didn't teach Trinity doctrine.
When you used the John 10:30, you clearly gave your own interpretation that Jesus is also the God, because of the word "one".

But did you ever consider and did a little research, to know what this text really means?
Did you consider using the original language used in this text for the word "one" which si "hen"?
And most importantly,  did you consider the context, to know the meaning of the text?

Clearly you are being influenced by your pre-conceived idea, when you interpreted John 10:30.

I have an advice to you. John 8:32 says search for the truth. And the truth will set you free.

Set you free from what? FALSE DOCTRINES WHICH CAME FROM PAGAN ORIGINS LIKE THE TRINITY DOCTRINE.
It is not a true christian teachings.

Best regards,

Gerald

Answer
Hello Gerald;

Yes, Jesus and His human parents were Jews. Christianity comes directly out of Judaism. If Jesus is Messiah, then Christianity is the culmination and natural extension of Judaism. This makes the Messianic Jew the most Jewish Jew of all.

Yes, I've examined the text. "Hen" is indeed the Greek word used in John 10:30 in which Jesus said, "The Father and I are One." Among the definitions for "hen" you will also find "one thing" and "unity." And yes, I've considered the context. The Jews, who were upset at Jesus' remarks, interpreted His meaning as equating Himself with God, thus, in their zeal, to defend their concept of God, they picked up stones to stone Jesus to death. How dare He declare Himself One with God! The Jewish leaders' ideals and concepts of God and what He expects from humans were things Jesus challenged from the first miracle to the last, from His first bold teaching as if He could launch off into new territory and not back everything up with Old Testament verses to His declarations that He is God. And, unable to accept what He said as truth, they wanted to remove Him from this life.

In John 8:48, Jesus said, "Very truly I tell you," Jesus answered, "before Abraham was born, I am!" From the context it is clear that not only did He say that He existed before Abraham, but He made the assertion that not only is He One with God, but He is God by calling Himself by the Sacred Name: I AM, see Exodus 3:14.

Many people cannot imagine a God who is a Unity of Three Persons yet still One God; they cannot conceive that Three could be One. Who is the person who has created God in his own image? Is he the person who limits God by confining Him to what he can understand? Or is he the person who is willing to admit that he doesn't understand how God can be Three in One yet He is? Which is more likely to be true of a God who is God and not made in man's image? A God who is hard to understand or one who is easy to comprehend? Is God made in our image or are we made in His image?

The Bible says that Jesus is the Word of God made flesh: "In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God. He was with God in the beginning. Through Him all things were made; without Him nothing was made that has been made. In Him was life, and that life was the light of all mankind. The light shines in the darkness, and the darkness has not overcome it...The Word became flesh and made His dwelling among us. We have seen His glory, the glory of the one and only Son, who came from the Father, full of grace and truth," John 1:1-5, 14.

"As the rain and the snow come down from heaven, and do not return to it without watering the earth and making it bud and flourish, so that it yields seed for the sower and bread for the eater, so is my Word that goes out from my mouth: It will not return to Me empty, but will accomplish what I desire and achieve the purpose for which I sent it," Isaiah 55:10 & 11. Isaiah is describing Jesus--the Word of God--who goes forth and does as the Lord Father has commanded. Jesus describes Himself in similar terms in the four Gospels. "Jesus gave them this answer: "Very truly I tell you, the Son can do nothing by himself; he can do only what he sees his Father doing, because whatever the Father does the Son also does," John 5:19. ""My food," said Jesus, "is to do the will of Him who sent Me and to finish His work," John 4:34.

In Genesis 1 we clearly see that God spoke and His Word went forth and did as He commanded. "God said, "Light be." And light was," Genesis 1:3.

The very Name, "Elohim," which English Bibles replace with the Name "God", Genesis 1:1, is a plural Name indicating more than One within One. From the beginning God declares Himself a Unity of more than One! Elohim is not some honorific title for God. God never inflates His importance, He has no need to do such a foolish thing--only humans have that compulsion. Elohim is God.

Deuteronomy 6:4 is often used to refute the assertion that God is multiple Persons in One. However, a closer examination of the Hebrew word, "echad" translated "one" into English. "A glance through the Hebrew text where the word is used elsewhere can quickly show that the word echad does not mean an absolute "one" but a compound "one." For instance, in Genesis 1:5, the combination of evening and morning comprise one (echad) day. In Genesis 2:24, a man and a woman come together in marriage and the two "shall become one (echad) flesh." In Ezra 2:64, we are told that the whole assembly was as one (echad), though of course, it was composed of numerous people. Ezekiel 37:17 provides a rather striking example where two sticks are combined to become one (echad). The use of the word echad in Scripture shows it to be a compound and not an absolute unity," Arnold G. Fruchtenbaum.  http://www.jewsforjesus.org/publications/issues/v01-n08/jewish

The Word of God is the Person of God who goes forth and does the will of God. The Holy Spirit is the Person of God who empowers and guides and comforts. The Father is the the Father, the Head of the Trinity. In effect, the Father is the brain and the Word (Jesus) is the body and the Holy Spirit is the energizing Heart. Because human beings were made in the image of God, we also are triune beings. We are eternal spirits residing in material bodies operating in the material world through the "software" called the "soul" which is composed of the will and emotions, i.e. the heart.

Jesus' question, "Who do you say I am?" is a question which every human being must answer. Life and death and the afterlife depend on it. You are correct, any person who does not research the evidence to the fullest does himself a disservice. For a human being, there is no question more important. You also need to do some research.

Sincerely,

Marilyn  

Bible Studies

Marilyn