Bible Studies/divine providence

Question
Hello and thank you for taking my question. I would like to know if when He was on earth, was Jesus under the umbrella of God's divine providence?

Answer
Dear Pete,

Yes. Let me cite some examples:

When Jesus went into the Wilderness to be tempted by the devil, (Matt. 4:1-11) God protected Him from the devil, and sent angels to strengthen Him afterward.

Luke 4:16-30: Jesus preached in Nazareth and pointed out the fact that in the well know stories of the Scriptures, Gentiles were the recipients of some of the greatest miracles: there were many widows in Israel during the time of Elijah, and Elijah didn’t go to any of them; he went instead of the widow of Zarephath, a city of Sidon; Naaman the Syrian was the only leper healed in the time of Elisha, even though there were many other lepers in the land of Israel. The people didn’t like what He said, and took Him to the brow of the hill on which the city was built, intending to cast Him down. But he merely walked away. This kind of divine protection happened several times during His ministry.

When Jesus prayed to His Father in Gethsemane, even though the Father didn’t answer Him, yet He did send an angel to strengthen Jesus for the tribulation (Luke 22:43), and when the arresting part came to Him, He pointed out to Peter that if He were to ask for it, God would send more than 12 legions of angels to protect Him (Matt. 26:53).

I could show you more, but suffice it to say, that the Father took good care of His Son while He was on earth. Had it not been, Jesus would certainly not have survived His 3 1/2 year ministry in order to reach the cross and die for our sins.

Reading the Bible is very important to the Christian. It would be difficult to maintain a saving relationship with God without it. And learning about God and His requirements for us would be nearly impossible without some connection with God’s Holy Word.

Actually, if we watch for Him, we’ll find Jesus Christ in almost every passage of the Old and New Testaments. Sometimes He’s known as the Creator (cf. John 1:1-4, 10, 14); sometimes He’s known as “the Angel of the LORD” (Ex. 3:1-14; cf. John 8:56-58); sometimes He’s known as the “servant” (Isa. 52:13-53:12); and sometimes as the Messiah. Often He’s behind the scenes, working through those who live according to His will.

If you have difficulty understanding the Bible, there are many aids available to help you do this, (see list below). But above all, read your Bible for yourself, and pray that God will help you understand it.

Check out Bibleinfo.com with other Bible questions you may have.

Stay close to Jesus.

Thurman C. Petty, Jr.
PettyPress@gmail.com
www.PettyPress.com (43 Bible lessons; 20 Books; more)

Sources of Bible study aids and answers for your questions.
Mail order Bible lessons: Amazing Facts Bible Lessons, PO Box 1058, Roseville, CA 95678
Telephone questions answered: 3ABN 1-800-752-3226 (pastoral dept., ext. 1)
On-line: Bibleinfo.com; Itiswritten.com (Bible studies/Discover Bible Guides)
Television networks: HOPE Channel (Direct TV #368); 3ABN (Dish Network #9393)

Bible Studies

Thurman C. Petty, Jr.