Bible Studies/About Animals and the Afterlife

Question
I know that "the spirit of the animal...goes down to the earth" (Ecc. 3:21, NKJV) for at least a time. The Resurrection of the Dead would bring back those animals, I assume. However, what happens to animals who were used to do wicked deeds—such as the dogs owned by Southerners who would kidnap and re-enslave African-American slaves and the dogs owned by Nazis? I've always wondered about that and have never had the courage to ask.

Answer
Hi, Nicole,
Thank you for submitting your question. I'll be glad to answer it below.

You asked: I know that "the spirit of the animal...goes down to the earth" (Ecc. 3:21, NKJV) for at least a time. The Resurrection of the Dead would bring back those animals, I assume. However, what happens to animals who were used to do wicked deeds—such as the dogs owned by Southerners who would kidnap and re-enslave African-American slaves and the dogs owned by Nazis? I've always wondered about that and have never had the courage to ask.

Answer: The Bible speaks of resurrection for only humanity: both the righteous and the wicked will be raised from the dead (i.e., John 5:28-29). The Bible does not teach that animals will be resurrected.

Only humans are created in the image of God (Genesis 1:26). As part of being like the immortal God, spiritually, God intended from the beginning for humans to live forever. But due to the rebellion of Adam and Eve, they had forfeited eternal life for themselves and all their offspring--but only temporarily. The righteous will be resurrected unto eternal life. This is possible only because Jesus sacrificed himself in the place of the repentant sinners to die in their place to pay the penalty for their sins, as the penalty of sin is death (Romans 6:23).

The Bible does not teach us that animals are meant to live forever. Romans 5:12 informs us that death passed to all man due to Adam's sin, not to all animals. Since all animals die, then this means that they were designed to die from the start, not due to Adam's sin.

Finally, Jesus was sent to Earth to die for humanity, not for animals. Animals did not need to be forgiven of their sins because Yahweh God never gave animals any laws. Sin is violation of God's laws. So if there's no law in the first place, no sin can be imputed--no violation can exist when there's nothing to violate (Romans 5:13).

However, there are two acts committed by animals where they must be killed: when they kill humans and when they were used in bestiality (Genesis 9:5; Exodus 21:28; Leviticus 20:15-16). Still, these are not called sins of the animals.

In conclusion, there will not be any resurrection for animals. Animals are meant to die, for they are not created in the image of God. They are designed to die; they did not "inherit" death due to sin, for they do not commit sins since they have no laws to obey. Therefore, whether or not animals such as dogs were used in wicked deeds by humans, they will simply end up with the same fate: eternal death. Only righteous people will be resurrected unto eternal life. It's made possible by Jesus' substitutionary sacrifice, which is for humanity, not for animals.

I hope this fully answers your question. If you'd like me to clarify anything or have any other question, please don't hesitate to ask and I'd be more than happy to do my best to answer it.

Thank you again for your question. Keep up with your Bible study.

Shirley
www.Ultra-Ability.com Ministry - Learn the entire Bible in Depth for Free via E-mail

Bible Studies

Dr. Shirley Cheng