Bible Studies/Resurrection

How many non-followers of Jesus  Christ  witnessed his resurrection and assent into the heavens?
Where is this mentioned in the Bible?

Hello Ben

What an unusual, and interesting, question - one which, I freely confess, has never occurred to me!

The simple, and straightforward, answer is (as I suspect you expected!) that there is no direct reference to non-followers of Jesus having seen the resurrected Jesus, or witnessed His ascension.

However, having said that, Paul makes reference to five hundred to whom He appeared on one occasion (I Cor.15:6).  I have always interpreted that as meaning five hundred then   "brethren but, in the light of your question, it occurs to me that, while referred to by Paul as brethren after the event , it could well be that at least some of them were converted through this amazing experience!

That, of course, is purely speculative.  A more definitive answer is to the question "Why did He only appear to His followers?"  This is because, I would submit, only His followers needed the reassurance that He had conquered death.

Your question comes across as actually more to do with the fact of the resurrection.  If that is so, then please submit a supplementary question to that effect, which I will be happy to answer.  Alternatively, you may find my next book (due to be published by the turn of the year: Kindle as well as paper-back) to be helpful as it deals with the full text of The Apostles' Creed!

Either way, I trust that what I have shared above will be of some help to you.

Kind regards.

Bible Studies

Rev C.Brian Ross

I am happy to offer answers to anyone with a question that refers to the Christian Faith in its widest possible sense. I believe that the Bible is the living Word of God, and seek to base all of my life on its teaching. I also have some knowledge of some of the cults, and of Islam and Judaism. Of course, my answers are just one man's thoughts, and I would always advise a questioner to check with others, and with the Word of God.

Served as a full-time parish minister in Scotland for about six years, and then spent the last thirty as a teacher (now 'retired') of Religious Education in Secondary Comprehensive schools (ages 11-17) while continuing my own preaching and teaching ministry. I have spent three years as a voluntary Chaplain with Strathclyde Police Force. I also believe that learning is a life-time process, and have recently completed a Master's degree in Divinity. I now spend most of my time in France, ministering mainly to English-speaking groups.

Former Presenter on Revival FM - a local Christian, community radio station, broadcasting in west central Scotland, and online at Involved with a number of organisations that support Christians who are currently suffering persecution in some 70 countries around the world. Until the formation of the new Police Scotland Force, I was a Chaplain with Strathclyde Police Force, deployed within 'Q' and 'N' Divisions, and also responsible for the Force Training and Recruitment Centre.

Various articles in Christian magazines. I also maintain a blog - My first book, Great Words of the Faith, is available as a Kindle e-book at My second book, Foundations of the Faith, is available as a Kindle e-book at*Version*=1&*entries*=0

Diploma of The Bible Training Institute, Glasgow; Licentiate in Theology of the University of Glasgow; Associateship of The Philosophical Society of England; Bachelor of Arts Degree (Hons) in History from The Open University; Post-grad Certificate of Education - Religious Education and History; Post-grad Certificate in Learning and Teaching; Post-grad Diploma in Management and Learning in Education; Master of Science Degree from the University of Strathclyde; Master of Divinity Degree (with Distinction) from Trinity College and Seminary (accredited by the University of Liverpool)