Bible Studies/a couple questions

Hi Teacher Scott,

Well, I have a couple of questions. First is in Matt 8:22 How do dead people bury other dead people? Last I knew dead meant dead. You don't get up and walk around ect.

The other question is about the birth of Christ. First the Bible says 'you shall call his name Jesus' and next the Bible says to call Him Emmanuel. My daughter asked me about it and all I could come up with was a nickname.

Hi Joyce,

In Matthew 8:22, when Jesus said, "Let the dead bury their dead," He meant that those who are spiritually dead should bury those who are physically dead. This is not a general principle. In the context of Jesus' mission and message, He was referring to priorities. Essentially, He knew that others were simply trying to come up with excuses for following Him, and He was trying to drive home the urgency of His mission and their discipleship.

As for your second question, I cannot answer it any better than this web site (

I hope that helps. Enjoy the Christmas season!

Bible Studies

Scott Talbot

I have studied the Bible and Bible-related topics since the time I was very young. My education includes a Bachelor of Science degree with a major in Bible, and a Master of Divinity degree. I enjoy delving into deep theological issues and always enjoy a healthy debate. But more importantly, I like working with people and helping them to find the answers that they are looking for. And I am convinced that these answers are available in the Bible.

By the grace and mercy of God, I have been saved, born again, adopted into the family of God. God has given me a love for the Bible, and for Bible-related subjects. In addition, He has blessed me with ongoing training in the Scriptures, from my youth on up. The more I learn about God through His Word, the more I want to share!

Campus Crusade for Christ, Grace Church at Willow Valley

Pillsbury Baptist Bible College - B.S. Bible & Pastorology; Calvary Baptist Theological Seminary - M.Div.