Bible Studies/the jews in egypt

I would like to refer to the following verse in acts 7 17ďAs the time drew near for God to fulfill his promise to Abraham, the number of our people in Egypt had greatly increased. 18Then Ďa new king, to whom Joseph meant nothing, came to power in Egypt.íc 19He dealt treacherously with our people and oppressed our ancestors by forcing them to throw out their newborn babies so that they would die." It would seem from this verse that Stephen was speaking that the act of killing the males was not of God's plan. I thought that, especially in those days when God was establishing the religion, everything was part of God's plan - was this not part of his plan???

Sorry for the delay....had some medical problems for a while.

The people of the world, and many times people who even call themselves Christians or God's people, do not act towards God's plan.  Even Adam and Eve made a mess for all of us trusting the devil instead of God's admonition not to partake of the fruit which would make them (and us) feel like we could decide what was "good" and what was "evil" in spite of what God says.

Since God does not change, it is people who carry out deeds which which are clearly opposed to the constant loving will of our Lord.

(Mal 3:6-7
6 "For I the Lord do not change; therefore you, O sons of Jacob, are not consumed. RSV

James 1:16-18
17 Every good endowment and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights with whom there is no variation or shadow due to change. RSV)

God didn't even CREATE "death".  It came only when man separated himself from God.

(Gen 2:16-17
"You may freely eat of every tree of the garden; 17 but of the tree of the knowledge of good and evil you shall not eat, for in the day that you eat of it you shall die." RSV

1 Cor 15:21-23
21 For as by a man came death, by a man has come also the resurrection of the dead. 22 For as in Adam all die, so also in Christ shall all be made alive. RSV)

So, no, the death of these children was not anywhere in the plan of God.  

God tells us, and shows us, that He is, indeed, "love". The devil is still using the same old plan to convince people that God doesn't love us and is stingy and mean:  he lies. Just as he did with Adam and Eve; it worked with them, they believed him, and it still works with most of the people of the world. They never give God's love a chance in their lives and so never even know that it exists for them:

(1 John 2:1-3
2 My little children, I am writing this to you so that you may not sin; but if any one does sin, we have an advocate with the Father, Jesus Christ the righteous; 2 and he is the expiation for our sins, and not for ours only but also for the sins of the whole world.RSV)

God's "plan" also shows up in the fact that He does not CONTROL people.  If He did, then people could NOT do the evil towards others that they do.  But, then they would be only a little more than robots. God created us, loved us, gives us good things so that we would know His nature and receive all the things He wishes to give us to have an "abundant" life:

(John 10:8-12
8 All who came before me are thieves and robbers; but the sheep did not heed them. 9 I am the door; if any one enters by me, he will be saved, and will go in and out and find pasture. 10 The thief comes only to steal and kill and destroy; I came that they may have life, and have it abundantly. 11 I am the good shepherd. The good shepherd lays down his life for the sheep.

I hope this answers your question.  If you need more biblical answers to the question that you have, please write again.

Bible Studies

Dean Gade

I can answer questions concerning the translating of specific words and translations of the New Testament. I can give the etemology of Greek words, primarily in the Koine Greek, but also in Classical Greek. I can also give explanations of much of the Bible having read it many times and written many Bible studies.

I studied Greek in earning my BA at a university and my DTh. and MDiv. at an accredited seminary. I was a diviity student at both the university and seminary, spending most of those eight years studying the Bible.