Bible Studies/The Vedas vs The Bible

Question
I am seeking to understand more regarding the world religions and more or less the TRUTH. I wondering if you could answer a few questions?

I am wondering which scripture is the more likely to be the word of God? The Vedas or The Bible? Which of the two is more backed by archeology, sciences (Astronomy, psychology, cosmology, Medicinal etc etc)and internal and external reliability of text (regarding contradictions and external sources that can verify the claims) .......Thanks :)

PS If your not knowledgeable of the Vedas perhaps direct me to someone who is knowledgeable in both the Vedas and Bible.

Answer
Hello Danne and thank you for writing. First, please accept my apologies for taking so long to respond, my internet has been down.

I have studied and been part of various religions, however my knowledge of the Vedas is minimal as far as content.

I would venture to say the Bible is more supported. However, lets look at a couple of things you stated:

1. "I am wondering which scripture is the more likely to be the word of God?"

To this, the answer would simply be The Bible. The Vedas (4) are hyms, incantations, rituals etc. and has been added too(as far as Hinduism is concerned".  Although it is claimed to have been "revealed" where others such as the Bible claims only "inspired", the Vedas without support of outside material does not address certain key elements that would qualify it as the "Word" of God. The main qualifier would be "purpose".

2."internal and external reliability of text (regarding contradictions and external sources that can verify the claims)"

I cannot speak much about contradictions in the "Vedas", however I can positively state there are no contradictions in the Bible and the text is very reliable to those who truly understand it.

Finally:

"I am seeking to understand more regarding the world religions and more or less the TRUTH."

Well Danne, this is something I can truly relate too. I spent most of my life studying ancient religions and cultures, doctrines etc., for the same reason. Have even at one time been atheist. So let me give you some things for thought:

1. Learning about different religions will not reveal "Truth" it will only reveal some "Truths" and facts. IF not grounded it will actually confuse the "Truth" and keep you from it, offering nothing more than knowledge and very little understanding.

Notice what the Bible says:

John 5:39-40
King James Version (KJV)
39 Search the scriptures; for in them ye think ye have eternal life: and they are they which testify of me.

40 And ye will not come to me, that ye might have life.

By studying the Bible and the characteristics of Christianity etc. you will only be able to gain knowledge of certain things and more likely only develop an everlasting circle of questions, confusion and what will be perceived as contradictions.

In order to understand the "Truth" you must first find the "Purpose".

1 Corinthians 2:14
But the natural man receiveth not the things of the Spirit of God: for they are foolishness unto him: neither can he know them, because they are spiritually discerned.

A person on a quest for knowledge will never be able to understand the "Truth" for they will only understand things subjectively. The things of God are spiritual, convicting, sometimes unexplainable but clearly seen.

Danne, because you stated you want to know the "Truth", I offer you the following scriptures to start you on your journey. As you study the Bible, looking for the "Truth" and understanding the scriptures I have shared below,,You will find that the Vedas, Enuma Elish, or any other writings considered to be "sacred", cannot offer the "Truth" or even come close to the revelations you will find and receive in the Bible.

John 3:16-17
King James Version (KJV)
16 For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

17 For God sent not his Son into the world to condemn the world; but that the world through him might be saved.

John 14:6
King James Version (KJV)

6 Jesus saith unto him, I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man cometh unto the Father, but by me.

John 1
King James Version (KJV)
1 In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God.

2 The same was in the beginning with God.

3 All things were made by him; and without him was not any thing made that was made.

4 In him was life; and the life was the light of men.

10 He was in the world, and the world was made by him, and the world knew him not.

11 He came unto his own, and his own received him not.

12 But as many as received him, to them gave he power to become the sons of God, even to them that believe on his name:

13 Which were born, not of blood, nor of the will of the flesh, nor of the will of man, but of God.

14 And the Word was made flesh, and dwelt among us, (and we beheld his glory, the glory as of the only begotten of the Father,) full of grace and truth.

1 Timothy 3:16
And without controversy great is the mystery of godliness: God was manifest in the flesh, justified in the Spirit, seen of angels, preached unto the Gentiles, believed on in the world, received up into glory.

I pray this helps you. I apologize for not being able to give you a comparative of Bible vs Vedas.

God Bless and Keep You:

Rev. Darryl Murphy  

Bible Studies

Rev. Darryl Murphy