Bible Studies/1 John

Question
Hello again lol and as always its great to talk with you. Hello and thank you for your time. What is your thoughts on how the apostle John believes compared to Paul. For example Unlike Paul, who presented exceptions, and dealt so often with believers’ failures to meet the divine standard, John does not deal with the “what if I fail” issues. Only in 2:1,2 does he give some relief from the absolutes. The rest of the book presents truths in black and white rather than shades of gray, often through a stark contrast, e.g., “light” vs. “darkness” (1:5,7; 2:8–11); truth vs. lies (2:21,22; 4:1); children of God vs. children of the devil (3:10). Those who claim to be Christians must absolutely display the characteristics of genuine Christians: sound doctrine, obedience, and love. Those who are truly born again have been given a new nature, which givesevidence of itself. Those who do not display characteristics of the new nature don’t have it, sowere never truly born again. The issues do not center (as much of Paul’s writing does) inmaintaining temporal or daily fellowship with God but the application of basic tests in one’slife to confirm that salvation has truly occurred. Such absolute distinctions were alsocharacteristic of John’s gospel.

Answer
Thanks for the kind words, Josh.  I too appreciate the conversation.
One would expect that John and Paul would write in differing but not contradictory ways and style.
To be somewhat philosophical: What is received is received according to the manner of the one receiving.  Example-- if you pour clear water into a clear glass, the water looks clear from outside the glass; if you pour it into a red glass, it looks red; into a blue, blue.
Paul and John both received the multi-faceted divine message and relayed it to different audiences at different times  in  different circumstances.
Paul -- a trained and learned rabbi, writing to Christian converts composed of Jews and Gentiles, about 50s AD.
John -- at least a disciple of the Gospel writer, writing to a special group of Christians, about 100 AD.
So, they wrote to different audiences about differing things in different historical circumstances.

Hopefully, I have addressed your concern. You are always welcome to write gain.
Best wishes.  

Bible Studies

Edward Bode