Bible Studies/Commandments

Question
Hope you are doing fine.

In Matthew 19 Jesus tells the rich young ruler to keep the commandments to inherit eternal life.  I understand that it was Jesusí intention to let the man know that he cannot keep all the commandments and to come to the realization that he needs a Saviour.  However, since Jesus tells the man to keep the commandments in response to his question about inheriting eternal life, I would like to know if anywhere in the OT it is indicated that a man can go to heave by keeping the commandments (perfectly or otherwise).

Thank you for your attention.
Lenin

Answer
Hello Lenin..and thank you for writing. First please accept my apologies for taking so long to respond.

As to your question if there is a place where it is stated that someone can go to heaven by keeping the commandments perfectly...the answer would be no.

There is a lot more to it than keeping the commandments. Even in the Old Testament everything was based on True Belief in God. Faith in God is the only way.

Hebrews 11:6
But without faith it is impossible to please him: for he that cometh to God must believe that he is, and that he is a rewarder of them that diligently seek him.

Example: A man that has no belief in God could have kept the commandments that were stated by Jesus in talking to the ruler. In fact, there are many people today who are atheist that hold fast to the commandments listed. Would we then say they will be going to Heaven? Lets look at the commandments Jesus quoted:

Matthew:18 He saith unto him, Which? Jesus said, Thou shalt do no murder, Thou shalt not commit adultery, Thou shalt not steal, Thou shalt not bear false witness,

19 Honour thy father and thy mother: and, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself.

20 The young man saith unto him, All these things have I kept from my youth up: what lack I yet?

So in this, we see the common moral law. The law of love and respect for others. What we do not see is Jesus quoting or stating one of the most important laws:

Deuteronomy 6:5
And thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thine heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy might.

This law is of a spiritual nature. It is of the Law of Faith. For to Love God, is to revere him, to have total trust and belief in him, forsaking all things of the world material or otherwise, committing yourself totally into his trust and seeking to do his will.

The Bible clearly states: 1 John 2:15 Love not the world, neither the things that are in the world. If any man love the world, the love of the Father is not in him.

When Jesus was conversing with the Rich young ruler, he foreknew that he had kept the moral law. When the ruler asked: " what lack I yet?" He did not realize that in all he had done, although good according to the law, he lacked "Faith". This was clearly demonstrated by the response of Jesus and the young mans reaction to it:

21 Jesus said unto him, If thou wilt be perfect, go and sell that thou hast, and give to the poor, and thou shalt have treasure in heaven: and come and follow me.

22 But when the young man heard that saying, he went away sorrowful: for he had great possessions.

The young man was not willing to give up his worldly possessions to follow Christ. His love was for the things of the world.

So as we look at the parable..we find that the law alone will not gain us entry into heaven, for without "Faith" in God, our works are for nothing. We must first have "Faith" and because of our "Faith" we should have works according to our Faith, testifying of our Faith, thereby making us as perfect as we humanly can be in the moral law as well as the law of 'Faith".

I pray this answers your question. If clarification is needed or I can be of further assistance, please don't hesitate to follow up.

God Bless and Keep You

Rev. Darryl Murphy  

Bible Studies

Rev. Darryl Murphy