Bible Studies/galatians 3:13

Question
Galatians 3:13 ►
Christ has redeemed us from the curse of the law, being made a curse for us: for it is written, Cursed is every one that hangs on a tree:

hello Mr Gade - I would like to know if our redemption from the curse of not following the law refers just to death and eternal punishment or does it refer to lesser punishments here on earth (not to be confused with chastising for our own good). Thank you. How are you doing by the way. Im dong quite well

Pete T

Answer

Pete t,

Being redeemed by Christ has freed us from any curse of the Law. But we need to know that we may be chastised by our loving God.

To start with our "freedom" from a curse of God we have God's word saying:

Rom 8:1-2
There is therefore now no condemnation for those who are in Christ Jesus. RSV

The Greek word for "curse" is "kataran" and means "malediction" or anything uttered out of malevolence. It's a pretty strong word and not one used when God is guiding those who have become His children by means of the blood of Jesus on the cross.
It is used when speaking of the Law as you quoted:

Gal 3:10-14
10 For all who rely on works of the law are under a curse; for it is written, "Cursed be every one who does not abide by all things written in the book of the law, and do them." 11 Now it is evident that no man is justified before God by the law; for "He who through faith is righteous shall live"; 12 but the law does not rest on faith, for "He who does them shall live by them." 13 Christ redeemed us from the curse of the law, having become a curse for us - for it is written, "Cursed be every one who hangs on a tree" -  14 that in Christ Jesus the blessing of Abraham might come upon the Gentiles, that we might receive the promise of the Spirit through faith. RSV

However, there is the "wrath" to which we can still be subject. Sadly, because we are at the time of year when we have to pay our income taxes, the following puts a bit of pressure on us saying wrath is still active upon our lives.

Rom 13:1-7
Let every person be subject to the governing authorities. For there is no authority except from God, and those that exist have been instituted by God. 2 Therefore he who resists the authorities resists what God has appointed, and those who resist will incur judgment. 3 For rulers are not a terror to good conduct, but to bad. Would you have no fear of him who is in authority? Then do what is good, and you will receive his approval, 4 for he is God's servant for your good. But if you do wrong, be afraid, for he does not bear the sword in vain; he is the servant of God to execute his wrath on the wrongdoer. 5 Therefore one must be subject, not only to avoid God's wrath but also for the sake of conscience. 6 For the same reason you also pay taxes, for the authorities are ministers of God, attending to this very thing. 7 Pay all of them their dues, taxes to whom taxes are due, revenue to whom revenue is due, respect to whom respect is due, honor to whom honor is due. RSV

Happily, the "wrath" is not God's wrath in this passage, but the wrath of His servant, our government. I'm not sure that I would like that wrath either. Wrath has a basic meaning of "desire" of a person but usually used negatively; temper, disposition, to teem, or have any violent emotion.

Here is another passage which shows that "God's wrath" will not be a part of our life.

Rom 5:8-11
But God shows his love for us in that while we were yet sinners Christ died for us. 9 Since, therefore, we are now justified by his blood, much more shall we be saved by him from the wrath of God. 10 For if while we were enemies we were reconciled to God by the death of his Son, much more, now that we are reconciled, shall we be saved by his life. 11 Not only so, but we also rejoice in God through our Lord Jesus Christ, through whom we have now received our reconciliation. RSV

As you also mentioned, we will be chastised by God but we should keep in mind that it is not out of wrath or lesser curses but only what is needed for our good.

Glad to hear that you are doing well.  Since I just got my taxes done, I'm doing better too.

Dean  

Bible Studies

Dean Gade