Bible Studies/Isaiah

QUESTION: Hi teacher Soott, bet you can't guess who?

I have a couple questions on Isaiah.

1. In Isaiah 't ever ch 7 v 14. This sounds like it is talking of Jesus, Son of God, but I don't ever remember that He ate curds and honey. I thought that was John the Baptist?

2.In ch 8 when (I assume Isaiah) says in vs 3 that the prophetess  had a son and she called his name Maher-Shal-Hash-Baz. Is that to be taken literally? If it is its kind of an odd name to saddle a kid with.

the 3rd question doesn't necessarily deal with the Bible. But something I want to know is: does it matter what church I belong to? the name for example? Tomorrow I am going to try out one called Calvary Chapel and as long as they teach the Word of God does it really matter that much if they call it a chapel or church?

ANSWER: Joyce! Hello!

While my response is brief, I believe it will give you the answers to your questions. As always, feel free to get back to me if you would like to discuss further.

1. Isaiah 7:14. To whom is this referring? This is a reference to Jesus. Yes, John the Baptist ate locusts and wild honey, but this reference is to the poverty into which The King of Kings was born.

The following article provide excellent insight into Isaiah 7:

2. Mahershalalhashbaz. LOL! Yes, that is quite a mouthful! What we have to remember, however, is that many names of the Ancient Near East were names that carried meaning, not names that were given merely because they sounded nice. Compare other names that are a bit unusual compared to those of our day and culture:  Asherbanipal (Assyrian Ruler) "The god Ashur is creator of an heir"; Tiglath Pileser (Assyrian Ruler) "My trust is in the son of Esharra"; Amenhotep (Egyptian Pharoah) "Amun is pleased"; Nebuchadnezzar (Babylonian King) "O god Nabu, preserve/defend my firstborn son." However, the simple name, John, also has meaning. It is derived from a word meaning, "Yahweh is gracious."

Here's what I found on the meaning of M's name:

Mahershalalhashbaz, meaning rapid plunder, was the God-commanded name given to one of Isaiah's sons to symbolize "the riches of Damascus and the spoil of Samaria shall be taken away before the king of Assyria" i.e. the fall of Syria and the northern kingdom of "Israel."

3. Name of Church. I would have no problem attending a church named "Calvary Chapel." I have no issue with the word, "chapel." While a name may tell you something about the church, it's better to find out what they believe and teach than to try to evaluate simply based on the name.

Hope this helps!

QUESTION: ok. we went to the Calvary Chapel this morning and liked it. One more thing I don't understand is in Isaiah 9:6 the part about 'the government shall be upon his shoulders" I understand that it has something to do with Christ taking responsibility but I don't quite get it. Is He responsible when our ELECTED leaders mess up?
what does it mean?

Hello, Joyce!

Glad to hear that you went to Calvary Chapel and enjoyed it. Is it possible you've found a church home?

Isaiah 9:6 "... the government shall be upon His shoulders ...." The phrase, "upon His shoulders," implies responsibility. Responsibility for what? For the government. What government? And when?

There is a theme that runs throughout history, throughout the Bible, and that is the Kingdom--the Kingdom of Jesus Christ. In the Garden of Eden, God was in control. When man fell into sin, God's plan was to eventually restore full control through a Messiah, "anointed one," Christ. We're talking about, not just spiritual control, but control of everything, including the government of the world.

The Old Testament theocracy within the nation of Israel was a harbinger to this Kingdom. It was about God's rule on earth through a human representative. This can be seen even with the Patriarchs (Abraham, Isaac, Jacob), Moses, the Judges, and the Kings of Israel. Unfortunately, these human representatives were imperfect, and many problems came about as a result. All this was to show that man could not get it right on his own. All this pointed to the perfect Ruler, the Anointed One, the Christ, the Messiah, the God-Man, ... Jesus!

When Jesus came to earth, He spoke much of The Kingdom of Heaven. What He was offering was a restoration to the way things were in The Garden--God's perfect rule over man and creation. But a perfect rule--a perfect kingdom--involves man's obedience. Man was far from obedient and accepting. "He [Jesus] came unto His own [Israel], and His own received Him not." Not only that, they murdered Him on a cross.

So the Kingdom was postponed. And God set aside Israel in His plan for the Ages ... and introduced a new concept, a "mystery"--the church. But God's promise that a Son of David would sit on the throne and rule eternally has yet to be fulfilled. And that's what will happen when Christ returns to establish His kingdom on earth. Read Revelation (especially the end), and you will see that this prophecy, God's perfect plan, will some day be fulfilled.

So when Isaiah talks about The Messiah, and about the fact that "the government will be upon His shoulders," what he is saying is that, one day, this Messiah will rule as King ... King of kings ... in a government that encompasses the entire earth (a new heaven and a new earth). Some day, Paradise Lost will be Paradise Restored. God will rule through His perfect Ruler--Jesus Christ, the Son of David, the perfect God-Man--God's representative on earth. And He will rule the entire earth. A government. A kingdom. A king. Awe-inspiring!

If you would like to study this topic further, read Alva J. McClain's book, The Greatness of the Kingdom. It's quite lengthy, but it develops the concept of the Kingdom from Genesis through Revelation and demonstrates how this idea is central to God's overarching plan for mankind for the ages.

Bible Studies

Scott Talbot

I have studied the Bible and Bible-related topics since the time I was very young. My education includes a Bachelor of Science degree with a major in Bible, and a Master of Divinity degree. I enjoy delving into deep theological issues and always enjoy a healthy debate. But more importantly, I like working with people and helping them to find the answers that they are looking for. And I am convinced that these answers are available in the Bible.

By the grace and mercy of God, I have been saved, born again, adopted into the family of God. God has given me a love for the Bible, and for Bible-related subjects. In addition, He has blessed me with ongoing training in the Scriptures, from my youth on up. The more I learn about God through His Word, the more I want to share!

Campus Crusade for Christ, Grace Church at Willow Valley

Pillsbury Baptist Bible College - B.S. Bible & Pastorology; Calvary Baptist Theological Seminary - M.Div.