Bible Studies/pharmakeia and modern medicine

I was wondering if modern medicine is prophesied in the bible? Preferably Revelations 18:23 (PSR)  23.   And no longer may a light of a lamp shine at all in you (many people on neuroleptics have dark baggy eyes), and no longer may a voice of a bridegroom and bride be heard at all in you (The voice of Yahuwshua the savior), because your merchants (Doctors/pharmacists) were the big men (Big Pharma) of the earth, because all the heathen masses were misled by your drugs!" (Pharmakeia/pharmaceuticals)

This is from the PSR translation, in which, the word pharmakeia is translated as "drugs" Elsewhere, it is logical to see the drugs refer to getting high, drunk, etc.. the stereotypical party life so to speak. However, in the above verse, Big Pharma fits perfect...a lot of Christians say the psychiatric medicines are tools of the adversary to ultimately blind them and weaken their minds to more easily be manipulated and controlled. Does this verse refer to big pharma and pharmaceuticals? What does Pharmakeia mean, is it the use of medications? Are pharmacists sorcerers? do we commit sorcery when we take psychiatric medicines?

Hello Danne and thank you for writing. First please accept my apologies for taking so long to respond.

Now Danne, I am not familiar with the PSR Version of the Bible, however I believe I can give you assistance in this matter.

First, Rev. 18:23 is not a prophecy about modern medicine at all. It in fact, is an "End Time" prophecy concerning the destruction of the wicked and world the way we know it. All those who are of the world and all the wickedness shall be destroyed.

The word Pharmakeia carries the following meaning and usage:

the use or the administering of drugs

sorcery, magical arts, often found in connection with idolatry and fostered by it

metaph. the deceptions and seductions of idolatry

So in this verse, it is used metaphorically just as the name "Babylon" is used metaphorically for the wicked world.

So no,this passage of scripture has nothing to do with the Big Pharmaceuticals etc. or psychiatrists.

Hope this answers your question. If there is something that needs clarification, or if I can be of further assistance, please feel free to follow up.

God Bless and Keep you,

Rev. Darryl Murphy

Bible Studies

Rev. Darryl Murphy

I am willing to to answer any questions regarding Biblical Doctrine and application. Can a man lose his salvation? Is the Trinitarian Doctrine really Biblical? Was there really Pre-Adamic life? What of the end times,IS there really a raputure? Who will be raptured? Where are we in the end time scenario? Are we predestined ? All these are doctrinal questions.Most would answer based on traditional teachings(not biblical).Find out the TRUTH according to the Bible.

23 years of study in ancient cultures, religion and doctrinal history.

I have studied the doctrines of various religions for over 23 years.

Currently teaching Biblical doctrinal studies privately