Bible Studies/Romans 9:22-23

In the same way, even though God has the right to show His anger and His power, He is very patient with those on whom His anger falls, who are destined for destruction.  He does this to make the riches of His glory shine even brighter on those to whom He shows mercy, who were prepared in advance for glory.  
Hello Mr. Bode:  As I was reading during my nightly bible time, this scripture jumped out at me.  I am in exactly this circumstance.  Could you please give me examples of what would be the riches of God's glory, that would shine on those to whom He shows mercy (me)... If you could give me external and internal examples, to help me get started, I would be very much appreciative.  External: finances, place to live (??) etc.  Internal:  God's character/mind/heart -- and any other information you would have on this.  Thank you very much... I have been struggling in a particular situation for a long time and God will not yet let me out of it, yet..... So I thought if I could understand, that would help me to be more patient and help my brain to be more Christ-like and happy.  Thank you ! Cathy :)

Nice, Cathy, that you devote a quiet time to praying with and through reading the bible.

Allow me to begin with quoting the edition of the bible that I use -- quite literal in translating the best Greek manuscripts.  It does not change the words "God's glory" but does tie the verses better with the context of the whole passage, 9:19-29, which includes your concern. I put within brackets that which refer directly to your interest:

"What if God, desiring to show [his wrath] and to make known [his power], has endured with much [patience] the vessels of [wrath] made for destruction, in order to make known the [riches of his glory]for the vessels of [mercy], which he has prepared beforehand for [glory], even us whom he has [called], not only Jews only but also from the Gentiles?"

Your verses follow as an example to illustrate a previous passage, 9:1ff, especially verses 14-18.

Paul begins in verse 19 to clarify examples that he summarized in verse 18. God's wrath is associated with his power and patience; glory with his call and mercy.

A suggestion: To understand a verse, check the its context, the surrounding verses and other verses on the same topic, especially by the same human author if such are had.  Here, Rom 3:29, 8:29; 2 Tim 2:20; Is 29:16, 45:9; Prov 16:4.
God's glory appears in the OT. In Hebrew, glory refers to real value, especially kings (crowned) more than reknown.  God's glory is his revealed majesty, power and holiness through lofty deeds [for example, Num 14:21-22}and appearance [Ex 33:18]to save, sanctify and rule [Is 60:1,3, 66:18].
In the NT, Christ appears with God's glory, often in relationship to his resurrection [1 Cor 2:8] also at the end of time [Rom 8:19].

With the above as background to your question, we come to how Christians participate in Christ's glory:  
through suffering (as did Christ) -- Jn 12:26; Rom 5:2 1 Thes 2:12; 2 Cor 3:18;
an increase -- Rom 8:18; 1 Cor 15:43-49;
acts of mutual love -- Jn 14:12, 15:10-12, 17:23.

So, I would see participation in Christ's glory as an increasing internal participation in the richness of God's indwelling,especially through faith,hope,love,and obedience to Jesus' commands through good works. 1 cor 13:4-7,13.

If you would like a further explanation of the above, please write again.  

Bible Studies

Edward Bode

A scholar of Jewish and Christian scripture (biblical studies), I hold graduate degrees from three universities in Rome [Italy]: Pontifical Gregorian University, Pontifical Biblical Institute, and the University of St. Thomas. I also have a master's degree in English. My special interests are the gospels of the New Testament and the resurrection of Jesus Christ.

I have taught at three universities and two colleges. My published works include one book, several articles in scholarly journals, and numerous book reviews.

I hold a doctorate in sacred theology from the University of St. Thomas in Rome, Italy; a license in sacred scripture from the Pontifical Biblical Institute in Rome; a license in sacred theology from the Pontifical Gregorian University in Rome.Additionally, I earned a master's degree in English from the University of Missouri in Columbia, Mo., and a bachelor of journalism from the same university.

I have been a member of the Catholic Biblical Association of America for 40 years. I am a former member of Society of Biblical Literature.I have spoken on academic topics to local, national, and international groups.

I hold graduate degrees from three universities in Rome [Italy]: Pontifical Gregorian University, Pontifical Biblical Institute, and the University of St. Thomas. I also have a master's degree in English.