Bible Studies/Ezekiel

Hi,  Our family has enjoyed your books on the last days of Judah, Daniel, Nebuchadnezzar and the rest. Recently, we have been reading some of the prophecies of Daniel and read the text in Ezekiel 4:6 of the "day for a year" principle.  We read the entire chapter for the context of the verse and my 15 year old daughter wondered if Ezekiel really did lay on his side for that long of a time, and if he ever got up and did something else or just laid there for a very long time.  Since you have done a lot research into Jewish history of this time period we wondered what you have learned about Ezekiel.

Thanks for taking the time to answer our question.  May God bless you!

Rachel L.

Dear Rachel,
I’m so happy that you enjoyed the Gate series of books. Actually, I wrote them with a vocabulary of about your daughter’s age. Most people read best at about that level. There are other books on my web site, mentioned below.

Your daughter’s question about Ezekiel—did he lie on his side all the time for 40 days, or just part of the time?

Of course, as you have already discovered, the Bible doesn’t reveal the answer. But there are several things that we can see that might help us here.

In verse 3, Ezekiel was told that this was to be a sign to the Jews there in Babylon. This would tend to make it sound like we’re talking about literal events.
In verses 9-12 Ezekiel is told of certain things he’s supposed to eat while he’s lying there. We’d expect that he’d get up to fix them, or at least to eat them. And we’d also expect that he’d have to go to the bathroom a couple of times during the day.

So, it’s quite likely that he spent only part of the day on his side—probably a lot more time than we’d like to spend—but less than full-time, 24-hour side sleeping. And you’ll notice that God told him not to worry about accidentally rolling over while lying there.

Eze 4:8  And surely I will restrain you so that you cannot turn from one side to another till you have ended the days of your siege.

It may be that God also lessened the discomfort of lying on the one side for so many days. I hope He did. :o)

I’ve written several other books, some are out of print, and some have never been published. But I’ve published them to my web site, so you can read them there. Some of the books are credited to another person “with Thurman C. Petty, Jr....” This means that the other person furnished me with a large amount of the information for the book, and I wrote the book from their information.

Let me hear from you, where do you live, etc. I’m a retired minister, and I live in northwestern Montana, in a town called Trout Creek.

Thurman C. Petty, Jr. (18 books; 41 Bible Study Guides; poems; sermons; articles; stories; more)

Bible Studies

Thurman C. Petty, Jr.

I`ve been a Pastor and Bible teacher for 40 years.

I`m a writer--author of 18 Bible-based books and over 200 journal articles. Web site: where a lot of my books and writings are posted. I've been married to the same lovely lady for 55 years. We're more in love now than when we married. My wife and I were missionaries to Pitcairn Island, in the South Pacific, from 1982-1984.

I've been a member of the Seventh-day Adventist Church since the age of 9.

Books: Pacific Press Publishing Association; PettyPress. Number of titles published: 16. Journal Articles: Adventist Review; Signs of the Times; Guide Magazine; Ministry: A Journal for Clergy; Sabbath School Leadership; The Youth's Instructor; Student Movement; Cord, and others. Total Journal articles: over 200. Web Site: Contents: 18 of my books; 41 Bible study guides; over 30 sermons; Stories; poems; links to other sites, etc. E-mail address:

I have a BA and a Master`s degree--both degrees are in Biblical studies.

I was awarded the "Golden Cord" from my Alma Mater, Union College in Lincoln, Nebraska, for my foreign mission service.