Bible Studies/innocents

Question
Hi Teacher Scott,
as to our last discussion, I understand why there need to be consequences. I do realize that God is not in any way responsible when a man molests a child or someone hurts and animal or kills another person ect. But the thing I don't get is why innocents have to suffer.

for example a 2yr old child that dies from Leukemia or an infant has crib death or even animals that suffer needlessly.

joyce

Answer
Hi Joyce,

This is a common question and one that is hard to deal with.

When God created the universe and everything in it, He pronounced it "very good." (Read the first few chapters of Genesis. This means that everything was created perfect. But man, in his free will, sinned against God. And, when he did, a curse was put upon the earth and on mankind.

So now, the perfect universe that God created is no longer perfect. There is disease, hunger, pain, and even death. This was not what God intended for us. But we brought it on ourselves when man sinned. This resulted in a curse on the earth and on man.

So now, bad things happen ... sometimes even to good people. This is still not God's ideal. That is why He made a way to escape the curse. When Jesus died on the cross, He not only paid the death penalty for our sins, but He made a way to remove the curse.

As long as we live in our earthly bodies on this earth, we will still have to live in a sin-cursed world. But God can take the bad and make it work for good (Romans 8:28). And, one day, we will have new, perfect bodies. And even the earth will be destroyed and replaced with a new, perfect earth. (See II Peter 3:10, Revelation 21:1.)

Scott

Bible Studies

Scott Talbot