Bible Studies/Israel

Question
Hi Teacher Scott, I have had so many computer problems but I finally have them fixed.
I have 2 questions.

1. In the Bible is Israel the country named after Israel the person? The former Jacob?

2. Is the Israel country that seems to be on the news almost every night, the same one spoken of in the Bible?

Answer
Hi Joyce,

I'm glad you were able to resolve your computer issues.

You are correct on both counts. The nation of Israel mentioned in the Bible is the same as the one we know today. These people are descendants of Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob. God gave Jacob the name, Israel, and the nation came to be known by that name.

Scott  

Bible Studies

Scott Talbot