Bible Studies/Birth date of Lord Jesus Christ.

Question
QUESTION: Dear Marilyn

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jesus

We are in the 21st century current year being 2014.

As mentioned in the Wikipedia, Lord Jesus Christ was born in
6–4 BC to 30–33 AD. We celebrate Christmas on 25th December, Lord Jesus Christ's Birth date.

In Which century Lord Jesus Christ was born ?. Is it 4th century as mentioned (6–4 BC to 30–33 AD) in Wikipedia ?.

Awaiting your reply,

Thanks & Regards,
Prashant S Akerkar

ANSWER: Hello Prashant;

When Wikipedia says that Jesus was born sometime around 4-6 BC to 30-33 AD it doesn't mean centuries, it means years--this is 2014 AD, the two thousand and fourteenth year since time began to be reckoned by Jesus' appearance on earth--as you mentioned, 2014 in the 21st century. Wikipedia means to say that Jesus was here on the planet between the year 4, 5 or 6 counting down to year zero in the final century before Jesus came and 30, 31, 32 or 33 since our measurement of time pivoted from before Christ to after Christ.

Jesus' time on earth has been sufficiently important that it is the pivot point of how we reckon time--the countdown to His coming and the count up from His coming. By stating this wide spread of years in which Jesus lived on earth, Wikipedia points out we don't know which is the specific year zero--that year when Jesus was born--the exact year zero is a fuzzy date somewhere between 4-6 BC and 30-33 AD. That year is an arbitrary date picked by Dionysius Exiguus, a monk, who invented the B.C./A.D. method during the Middle Ages, early in the sixth century. The pope commissioned him to do this in order to determine the correct date for Easter. His counting method determined Christ’s birth to be the year A.D. 1 and we've used it every since.

Though we celebrate Jesus' birth on December 25th, it's unlikely that He was born in winter. Why we celebrate His birth in December is debated. Some churches celebrate Jesus' birth in January. However, though Gentile churches do not know when Jesus was born, because they largely ignore the Jewish feasts and do not understand the Jewish roots of Christianity, the Messianic Jewish church does know.

God instituted "feasts" in the time of Moses which function as a sort of "calendar" in the sense that they are rehearsals or prophetic sign posts revealing God's plan for humanity and the earth. The best book I know that explains this is, "Rosh HaShanah and the Messianic Kingdom to Come," by Joseph Good, explains how God uses the Jewish festivals as a sort of "calendar of events" and a picture lesson, of sorts depicting God's plan for the Jews, for humanity and for redemption for the earth. http://www.amazon.com/Rosh-HaShanah-Messianic-Kingdom-come/dp/B0006S5D6C/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1401123064&sr=8-1&keywords=Rosh+Ha+Shanah+and+the+Messianic+Kingdom+to+Come

It's more likely Jesus was born during the Feast of Tabernacles also called Sukkot. During this feast observant Jews build booths, or what American Indians would call wikiups, temporary shelters, which today can be made of PVC pipe and tarps. The Jews camp outdoors and watch the night sky for the star that heralds the coming King. Sukkot is the time when the Jews look forward to God the King living on earth with man. Many do not realize that He did come on a night when a star shown in the sky to a humble stable, a temporary shelter, and lived among us. The first celebrations of the Feast of Tabernacles rejoiced that God traveled with the Jews in the tabernacle in the wilderness and later in the temple. With Jesus' first appearing Jesus partially fulfilled the Feast of Tabernacles, which is the celebration of God living among us--God tabernacling among us. The finish of that feast will occur when Jesus returns in body to rule the earth.

Sincerely,

Marilyn

QUESTION: Dear Marilyn

Thank you.

But in Which century Lord Jesus was born?.

1 Century = 100 years. We are in the 21st century. Current Year being 2014.  

1st century - 1-99
2nd century - 100-199
3rd century - 200-299
4th century - 300-399
5th century - 400-499
6th century - 500-599
7th century - 600-699
8th century - 700-799
9th century -800-899
10th century -900-999
11th century -1000-1099
12th century -1100-1199
13th century -1200-1299
14th century -1300-1399
15th century -1400-1499
16th century -1500-1599
17th century -1600-1699
18th century-1700-1799
19th century-1800-1899
20th century - 1900 -1999
21st century - 2000 - 2099 -> Current Century.   

Awaiting your reply,

Thanks & Regards,
Prashant S Akerkar

Answer
Hello Prashant;

Jesus was born on the cusp of BC and AD in a fuzzy period of time for which we do not have a precise date. There is no actual 0 year, there is 1 BC in the 1st century BC (counting backwards to some unknown date when the universe was created millions and millions of years ago) and 1 AD in the first century AD (counting forward to now). So I was incorrect in saying there was a year "0." Astronomers use a year 0, but historians do not. So, Jesus was born at the end of 1 BC or in the beginning of 1 AD. Either way He was born in the 1st century.

Modern people have figured out that the monk was probably off by a few years in his dating of Jesus' birth, hence the statement He was born between 4 BC and 33 AD.

Thanks for your kind rating!

Marilyn

Bible Studies

Marilyn