Bible Studies/Birth date of Lord Jesus Christ.

Question
Dear Jim

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jesus

We are in the 21st century current year being 2014.

As mentioned in the Wikipedia, Lord Jesus Christ was born in
64 BC to 3033 AD. We celebrate Christmas on 25th December, Lord Jesus Christ's Birth date.

In Which century Lord Jesus Christ was born ?. Is it 4th century as mentioned (64 BC to 3033 AD) in Wikipedia ?.

Awaiting your reply,

Thanks & Regards,
Prashant S Akerkar

Answer
Perhaps your grasp of the English language is not sufficient.  The claim which you wrote places the birth of Jesus between 4 and 6 years BCE, not 4 to 6 centuries BCE.  This would place the birth of Jesus in the 1st century BCE.
According to the Gospels of Matthew and Luke, Jesus was born before the death of Herod I, who died in 2 BCE.  This means Jesus was born before that date.  Anything more specific is guesses.
BCE means Before Common Era, and replaces BC -- Before Christ.  Obviously Jesus was not born "Before Christ."  He died around or after 30 CE (Common Era), and your source has his death between 30-33 CE.  According to the Gospel of Luke Jesus began his public life at age 30, and at least three Passovers passed between the beginning and end of his public life.  Your dates are plausible.  Exact dates are not known.
I hope this is helpful.
Jim Miller

Bible Studies

Jim Miller