Bible Studies/Birth date of Lord Jesus Christ.

Question
QUESTION: Dear Dr Shirley

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jesus

We are in the 21st century current year being 2014.

As mentioned in the Wikipedia, Lord Jesus Christ was born in
6–4 BC to 30–33 AD. We celebrate Christmas on 25th December, Lord Jesus Christ's Birth date.

In Which century Lord Jesus Christ was born ?. Is it 4th century as mentioned (6–4 BC to 30–33 AD) in Wikipedia ?.

Awaiting your reply,

Thanks & Regards,
Prashant S Akerkar

ANSWER: Hi, Prashant,
Thank you for your question, which I'll be more than glad to answer below.

You asked: In Which century Lord Jesus Christ was born ?. Is it 4th century as mentioned (6–4 BC to 30–33 AD) in Wikipedia ?

Answer: The short answer to your question is: Jesus Christ was born in the first century BC, according to modern scholars. My explanation is as follows:

1 AD begins the first century. The first century lasts from year 1 to year 100 AD. Year 101 began the second century, year 201 began the third century...year 2001 began the twenty-first century, in which we are. AD stands for "Anno Domini" in Latin which means "in the year of the Lord (or "our Lord")." Thus, this dating system was created in accordance with what was believed to be the year in which Jesus was born. 1 AD was designated to be the birth year of Jesus. If this is correct, then Jesus was born in the first year of the first century.

However, modern scholars believe that Jesus was actually born several years before 1 AD, anywhere between 7 and 2 BC. "BC" stands for "Before Christ." Since no one is going to push our calendar back by several years in order to accommodate the theoretical calculation, we are stuck with the concept of Jesus being born prior to 1 AD. This would be akin to saying that you were born before your designated birthday. 7-2 BC fall in the first century BC, which ran from 100 to 1 BC. 1 AD immediately follows 1 BC; there is no "year 0."

Basically, Jesus' birth date remains a mystery. The Bible does not disclose to us when he was born, telling us neither his birth month nor birth year, though there are historical clues in the Bible on which modern scholars base their calculations. Since the Bible does not say, we cannot claim that December 25 is his birthday.

I hope I've fully answered your question. If you need me to clarify anything, please don't hesitate to ask and I'd be more than glad to best assist you.

Thank you again for your question.

Shirley
Founder of www.Ultra-Ability.com Ministry - Study the Entire Bible for Free via E-mail

QUESTION: Dear Dr Shirley

Thank you.

But in Which century Lord Jesus was born?.

1 Century = 100 years. We are in the 21st century. Current Year being 2014.  

1st century - 1-99
2nd century - 100-199
3rd century - 200-299
4th century - 300-399
5th century - 400-499
6th century - 500-599
7th century - 600-699
8th century - 700-799
9th century -800-899
10th century -900-999
11th century -1000-1099
12th century -1100-1199
13th century -1200-1299
14th century -1300-1399
15th century -1400-1499
16th century -1500-1599
17th century -1600-1699
18th century-1700-1799
19th century-1800-1899
20th century - 1900 -1999
21st century - 2000 - 2099 -> Current Century.   

Awaiting your reply,

Thanks & Regards,
Prashant S Akerkar

Answer
Hi, Prashant,
Thank you for your question. I'll be glad to answer it below:

You asked: But in Which century Lord Jesus was born?.

Answer: First off, let me clarify the numbering of our centuries. The word "century" comes from the Latin "centum," which means "one hundred." Hence, a century contains one hundred years, and you are correct about this. However, your numbering is incorrect. 1-99 is only 99 years, not 100 years. It should be numbered thus:

Years 1-100 AD = First century
Years 101-200 AD = Second Century
Years 201-300 AD = Third Century, etc
Years 2001-2100 AD = Twenty-first century, our current century

The years before 1 AD are labeled "BC," which stands for "Before Christ." For example:
Years 100-1 BC = First century BC.
Years 200-101 BC = Second century BC

This dating system was created based on what was believed to be Jesus' birth year. Originally, Jesus' birth year was designated in 1 AD, the first year of the first century. However, as I've explained in my last explanation, modern scholars believe that this calculation was wrong, and that Jesus was actually born several years earlier, between 7 and 2 BC.

1 BC is one year before 1 AD. 2 BC is two years before 1 AD. 3 BC is three years before 1 AD. 4 BC is four years before 1 AD, etc. So if Jesus was born between 7 BC and 2 BC, it would mean that he was born in the "first century BC." Years 100-1 BC is first century BC.

I hope I've clarified things. Please let me know if something is still unclear to you, and I'd be happy to clarify.

Thank you again for your question.

Shirley
www.Ultra-Ability.com Ministry - Study the Bible from Genesis to Revelation for Free via E-mail

Bible Studies

Dr. Shirley Cheng