Bible Studies/Birth date of Lord Jesus Christ.

Question
QUESTION: Dear Edward

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jesus

We are in the 21st century current year being 2014.

As mentioned in the Wikipedia, Lord Jesus Christ was born in
64 BC to 3033 AD. We celebrate Christmas on 25th December, Lord Jesus Christ's Birth date.

In Which century Lord Jesus Christ was born ?. Is it 4th century as mentioned (64 BC to 3033 AD) in Wikipedia ?.

Awaiting your reply,

Thanks & Regards,
Prashant S Akerkar

ANSWER: Nice to hear from you again, Prashant.

Wikipedia is saying that, according to our current way of counting years, Jesus was born shortly before the death of Herod the Great in the fourth year before the beginning of Anno  Domini (AD) and that He died and rose about the 30th year AD.

At that time, the number of the years were measured from the traditional year of the founding of the city of Rome (eighth century BC).

Later, when Christianity had become a recognized and widespread religion, a monk (Dennis the Younger) computed the number of the years to be reckoned on the basis of the birth of Jesus. However, he made a small mistake in as much as his calculation established the death of Herod the Great in the year 4 BC, a slight mistake.

Incidentally, there is no year zero. Year 1BC is followed by 1AD, which had been intended for the year of the birth of Jesus.

Best wishes, Prashant.  

QUESTION: Dear Edward

Thank you.

But in Which century Lord Jesus was born?.

1 Century = 100 years. We are in the 21st century. Current Year being 2014.  

1st century - 1-99
2nd century - 100-199
3rd century - 200-299
4th century - 300-399
5th century - 400-499
6th century - 500-599
7th century - 600-699
8th century - 700-799
9th century -800-899
10th century -900-999
11th century -1000-1099
12th century -1100-1199
13th century -1200-1299
14th century -1300-1399
15th century -1400-1499
16th century -1500-1599
17th century -1600-1699
18th century-1700-1799
19th century-1800-1899
20th century - 1900 -1999
21st century - 2000 - 2099 -> Current Century.   

Awaiting your reply,

Thanks & Regards,
Prashant S Akerkar

Answer
Sorry not to have been more detailed in my previous answer.
According to our current system of counting years, Lord Jesus Christ was born in the first century BC [before Christ]:100 to 1 BC [the numbers run in reverse].  Year 6 to 4 BC is often used by scholars since we now know that Herod the Great died in 4 BC and that he had boys under 2 years old killed after the visit of the Magi [Matthew 2:16ff].
Thanks for your vote on my previous answer.
Again best wishes, Parashant.  Your questions are always welcome.

Edward  

Bible Studies

Edward Bode