Bible Studies/Birth date of Lord Jesus Christ.

Question
Dear Glenn

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jesus

We are in the 21st century current year being 2014.

As mentioned in the Wikipedia, Lord Jesus Christ was born in
64 BC to 3033 AD. We celebrate Christmas on 25th December, Lord Jesus Christ's Birth date.

In Which century Lord Jesus Christ was born ?. Is it 4th century as mentioned (64 BC to 3033 AD) in Wikipedia ?.

Awaiting your reply,

Thanks & Regards,
Prashant S Akerkar

Answer
Hi Prashant, Jesus wasn't really born on December 25. That's the day his birthday is celebrated in the West but not his real birthday.

One simple way to understand the BC and AD abbreviations is to think of BC as "Before Christ" and AD as "After [he] Died" AD is a Latin abbreviation for anno Domini [in the year of our Lord]

Try the Wikipedia entry Anno Domini for more information:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anno_Domini

Centuries are designated also with AD and BC. The first century BC is the ~100 years previous to the birth of Christ. First century AD is the first ~100 years after Christ was born.

If Jesus was born in 6 BC and died in 33AD, that would make him ~ 40 years old when he died. I haven't heard of that before.

Take care

Bible Studies

Glenn Hansen