Bible Studies/Death

Question
Hi, I want to ask what happens after death?

Answer
Hi Collin,

When an individual dies they go to sleep.  Nothing more, nothing less.
"For the living know that they will die; but the dead know nothing."  Ecclesiastes 9:5  

"So man lies down and does not rise, until the heavens are not more, they will not awake nor be roused from their sleep.  Oh, that You (God) would hide me in the grave, that You would conceal me until Your wrath is past, that You would appoint me a set time and remember me!  If a man dies, shall he live?  All the days of my hard service I will wait, till my change comes.  You (God) shall call and I will answer you."  Job 14:12-15
Job is having a tough time and wishes that God would allow him to die so that he can skip the difficult times and sleep until God wakes him up to live under God's and Christ's rule.  The change that Job is referring to is described in 1Corinthians 15:50-52

" And if Christ is not risen, your faith is futile....then also those who have fallen asleep in Christ have perished.....But now Christ is risen from the dead, and has become the firstfruits of those who have fallen asleep (died).  For since by man came death (Adam sinning), by Man (Christ) also came the resurrection of the dead.....each one in  his own order;  Christ, the firstfruits, afterward those who are Christ's at His coming.  Then comes the end, when He delivers the kingdom to God the Father, when He puts an end to all rule.... 1 Corinthians 15:14-24

The end of man's rule on earth is coming soon.  At that time Christ will return and those that have chosen to live God's way of life, and died, through out time will be resurrected first to meet Christ in the air as He returns to earth.  Then those still living, that have lived through the tribulation and chosen to live God's way of life will meet Christ also and become part of God's kingdom on earth.

"And I saw a new heaven and a now earth, for the first heaven and the first earth had passed away...  Then I, John, saw the holy city New Jerusalem, coming down out of heaven (to earth) from God, prepared as a bride adorned for her husband.  And I heard a loud voice from heaven saying 'Behold the dwelling of God is with men, and He will dwell with them, and they shall be His people, and God Himself will be with them and be their God."  Revelation 21:1-3

"Now this I say, brethren, that flesh and blood cannot inherit the kingdom of God; nor does corruption (sin) inherit incorruption.  Behold I tell you a hidden truth;  We shall not all sleep, but we shall all be changed - in a moment, in the twinkling of an eye, at the last trumpet.  For that trumpet will sound, and the dead will be raised incorruptable, and we shall all be changed. 1Corinthians 15:50-52  Those that are still alive at Christ's return to earth will immediately be changed from a human body that can die to a spirit body that will live forever.

Death in both Job, Corinthians and Revelation is described as sleep.  No dying and then flying off to heaven, no rapture, just sleep until God calls that individual in the resurrection, during and after Christ's return to earth to set up God's kingdom on earth.
"And I saw the dead, small and great, standing before God and books were opened.  And another book was opened which is the Book of Life.  And the dead were judged according to their works, by the things which were written in the books."  Revelation 20:12

Not long ago someone that understood that dead people didn't go to heaven when they died, ask me what happened to a dead person's memories.  With so many death people through out the centuries how did God keep everyone straight?  The easiest way I have found to explain it is to think of having everything that you are, what you look like, your personality, your memories, everything  that makes you really you stored on what amounts to a computer hard drive.  God stores everything that makes an individual who he or she is from the time they are born until they die.  Then when it is time to resurrect that individual, to wake them up, then all that stored information goes back into that individual.  If that person lived God's way of life then that person is awakened with an immortal body.  If the individual didn't understand about God or Christ then that individual will be given their human physical body again and given a second chance to live God's way of life.

I've always thought it strange that so many that believe in going to heaven are afraid to die.  If heaven is so wonderful, wouldn't someone want to hurry up and get there?  Knowing that when a person dies they just go to sleep until it is time for God to wake them up and that they will live in amazing new world, living with and working for God and Christ is really something to look forward to.
God wants family, firstfruts, meaning lots and lots of children beginning with Christ.  Why is space so huge and why are there so many planets if not to give God's family room to grow.

The end of man's rule on earth is coming soon.  We have so much good to look forward to in the near future.  "But seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things shall be added to you." Matthew 6:33

Thank you for your question and I hope the answer has helped.  If not let me know and I will try again.
Guyna

Bible Studies

Mel and Guyna Horne