Bible Studies/general

Question
Hi Scott. I am reading through the bible and finding I have questions about things. Not deep theological questions, just simple ones to help me understand things. My first question is since Abraham lied to Pharaoh about Sarah being his wife, why did God plague Pharaoh and his house?

Answer
Hi Sandra,

It's great to hear that you're reading through the Bible. We have access to God's Holy Word--His divine communication to us--and we so often overlook or downplay the value of that. Keep it up, keep learning, and let God daily transform you through the Scriptures.

I understand how that, when reading through the Bible, questions will arise. This is a good thing. And it's good to do some research and get clarification so that you can better understand God's message.

The passage in Genesis 12 is a good example. Genesis 12:17 says, " ... [T]he LORD inflicted serious diseases on Pharaoh and his household because of Abram's wife Sarai."

It is easy to interpret God's treatment of Pharaoh and his household as a punishment and wonder why God would punish them for someone else's wrongdoing ... for something they did not even realize they were doing.

In reality, it does not appear as though God is punishing Pharaoh. The fact is that, unless God intervened, Pharaoh probably would not have known that what he was doing was wrong. And, in the process, God's plans may have been thwarted.

God's plan was to give Abram and Sarai a child and to make of him a great nation. This story is an example of God's providential intervention that ensured that, despite the error of Abram and Sarai, God's purposes were still accomplished.

There is another lesson here. That is that God has a greater purpose for everything, including suffering. See Romans 8:28, James 1:2-4.

Scott

Bible Studies

Scott Talbot