Bible Studies/Hi Question about the Antichrist. Man of the Hour

Question
Hello,

I was hoping you may be able to help me. I am working on a paper about the Antichrist for a friend who is doing a book. My question is. I have heard the Antichrist mentioned as "The Man of the Hour." I was hoping you would know what that meant? Is there a bible verse that says the antichrist is the man of the hour? I could not find one.

Could that mean something that God is going to release the name and identity of the antichrist at the right time?

Also I was wondering if there is a connection of Antichrist to greek mythology. Because I know that Cronus in greek mythology is a god that was in charge of time. So does Man of the Hour have a correlation to the greek god Cronus? Because Cronus in greek mythology can decide when something is supposed to happen and when that is going to end. But in the end Cronus is kept in line by the greek pantheon of Zeus, so I don't know maybe he only is limited to a function of time? Makes sense to me to compare that to the Antichrist.

Thanks,

Mark

Answer
Hi Mark,

I have never heard the Antichrist referred to as "The Man of the Hour." This phrase is certainly not found in the Bible. However, there is some wording that comes close.

In Matthew 24:36, Jesus says, "No one knows about that day or hour, not even the angels in heaven, nor the Son, but only the Father." He is referring to His return--an event which will trigger the rise of the Antichrist.

I John 2:18 says, "Dear children, this is the last hour; and as you have heard that the antichrist is coming, even now many antichrists have come. This is how we know it is the last hour." John is saying that the time is close for Christ's return and the appearance of the Antichrist.

Revelation 3:10: "Since you have kept my command to endure patiently, I will also keep you from the hour of trial that is going to come upon the whole world to test those who live on the earth." The "hour of trial" is the time during which the Antichrist will rise to power. This time is also known as The Tribulation.

Revelation 9:15 and 11:13 use the term, "hour," to describe the climax of God's judgment during the Tribulation. Also, there is an interesting statement in Revelation 17:12, which says, "The ten horns you saw are ten kings who have not yet received a kingdom, but who for one hour will receive authority as kings along with the beast." "The beast" is another title for the Antichrist.

As you can probably tell from these passages, the term, "hour," as used by the penmen of Scripture, means a specific, significant, but indeterminite time period of limited duration.

No offense, but I see no relation whatsoever between Antichrist and Cronus. For one thing, Cronus is a mythical character, while Antichrist is a real person. Second, it's a bit of a leap based simply on the word, "hour." Personally, I wouldn't go there.

I hope this helps. My door is always open.

Scott

Bible Studies

Scott Talbot